Friday, October 23, 2015

Slowcooked Chicken Parmesan Soup

Untitled

I recently got a new crock-pot! It was sent by the Swedish crock-pot agent for me to evaluate, and since I love my old one as well, I was really eager to try it. The new one is much more advanced than my old and has sauté settings as well as settings for baking, roasting and cooking rice so I have quite a bit of experimenting to do.


However, for my first time cooking with the new pot, I wanted a simple recipe. I'd be out for most of the day and needed a quick dinner when I got home, so decided to do a chicken parmesan soup. It was really tasty - a hit for at least one of the kids and we adults enjoyed it a lot. I specify my cooking times below but it's adaptable, you could easily do shorter or longer. And I cooked the pasta separately because once we were home, we were in a hurry. If I'd had more time, I'd have added it to the pot maybe half an hour or so before eating. 

Slowcooked Chicken Parmesan Soup
2 chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
400 g crushed tomatoes
800 ml water
2 chicken stock cubes 
4 stalks fresh oregano
1 tsp chili pepper flakes
2 large handfuls grated parmesan cheese

and to finish: 
1 handful grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
200 g cooked pasta, small shapes
100 ml crème fraiche

Place chicken, garlic, onion, pepper, tomatoes, water, stock cubes, oregano, chili and cheese in the slowcooker. Cook for about 4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low. We did an additional hour on low or so, but that was just for our convenience, it was done before that. 

Just before serving, shred the chicken, stir in the additional cheese, fresh basil, cooked pasta and completely optional, creme fraiche. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

Holy_Food said...

Hello Anne,
Very delicious and testy soup recipe.
Thanks for sharing and congratulation for your new crock-pot.!!