Monday, April 21, 2014

Chicken Mole

chickenmole

Chicken Mole is not something I'd really imagined cooking. All I know about it is that it's pretty complicated, and everyone has their own favorite way of doing it. However, I wanted a chicken dish for a tex-feast with my friends, and this recipe looked so tempting. It's not very complicated, but it DID cause a lot of clean-up. And be super careful as you'll be mixing hot liquids - my food processor was NOT up to the task, spraying the whole kitchen with hot chicken stock. I'd have to resort to my trusty immersion blender instead.

Chicken Mole
3 tbsp neutral cooking oil (divided) 
2 chipotle chili pepper
1 ancho chili pepper
2 guajillo chili peppers (which I admittedly didn't find. I used something else and forgot to write down the name - smart, I know...) 
500 ml hot chicken stock
1 white onion, coarsely chopped
5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
3 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
6 dried plums
2 tbsp raisins
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried cloves, ground
15 almonds
15 pecans
15 peanuts (raw) 
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 kg boneless chicken (I used a mix of thighs and breast)
300 ml water
20 g dark chocolate (70%)
salt, to taste

Heat a little of the oil in a frying pan. Fry the chili peppers for about half a minute on each side, then transfer to a blender. (One that for sure can handle hot liquids!) Pour in the hot chicken stock, and leave to soak for at least 15 minutes. Then blend until smooth. 

Meanwhile,  toast the almonds, pecans, peanuts and sesame seeds until golden brown. 

In a little more oil, fry the onion, garlic, tomatoes, plums and raisins for a few minutes. Add the oregano, thyme and cloves. Add the toasted nuts and seeds. Move the whole thing to a blender, and mix until smooth. 

Lastly, fry the chicken on both sides until golden. Use a heavy pot. When it's browned, pour in all your mixed ingredients, and the additional water. Let it simmer until the chicken is tender. When it is, remove to a cutting board, and shred with two forks. Let the sauce reduce until thick, and add the chocolate. Put the chicken back in the sauce, and season with salt. 

No comments: