Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Shrove Tuesday

semlahurrycurry

It's Shrove Tuesday - unusually late this year, isn't it? Well, in Sweden, you eat a semla today.

 It's a yeasted cardamon bun filled with almond paste and whipped cream, and I assure you it''s much better than it sounds. Well, in truth, there's a big range from horribly bad to heavenly good, since ever store offer up semlor this time of year . You can find them in 7-11, gas stations and grocery stores, but my advice is to seek out the very best bakeries instead. (And even many of those cheat with fake almond paste, or cheap additives.)



People often ask me for a recipe. Sorry, I don't have one. I've never made them. For good reason - I don't want to make and eat a whole batch! I like eating just one, so I stick with the good bakeries. However, Dagmar can make some great semlor, and she has posted a recipe in English

2 comments:

JulesTheNorweegie said...

This looks loooovely! In Norway, we have them on the Sunday, but in the UK they have Pancake Tuesday. I tried to celebrate both, buuut making a "one bun" portion on Sunday proved difficult, at least I got to make pancakes for breakfast today, soo good! :D

Erik Andersson said...

A couple of years ago, I was searching for a Semla recipe and found the one you referenced on Dagmar's website.

I must tell you, the end result was almost exactly how I remember how my Grandmother and Great Aunt's tasting. I went as far as to make my own almond paste. This was a fair amount of work, but totally worth the effort.