Thursday, October 17, 2013

Lamb Meatballs in Coconut Sauce

image


dante-130728

Another really yummy dinner. I loved this, my husband did as well, and the little ones ate a fair share. Well, the four-year old found it a bit on the spicy side, but he's in a very picky phase. I can't figure out why I didn't take a photo - I rarely forget but sometimes, apparently, it happens. You'll have to make do with this happy picture of Dante, who really enoyed this. Update: found the photo on My iPad!

Lamb Meatballs in Coconut Sauce
serves 4

500 g lamb mince
1 egg
2 tbsp breadcrumbs
100 ml water
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
butter, for frying

Sauce:
400 ml coconut milk
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lemongrass stalk
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1-2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ancho chili
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
100 ml cream (optional)

Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs, and roll into large round balls. (About ten.) Brown in butter on medium heat.

For the sauce, pound the lemongrass to get maximum flavor and cut into large pieces. (You'll be fishing them out later!) In a large pot, mix coconut milk, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and all the spices. Bring to a boil. Add the meatballs and let them simmer until done, a few minutes. At this point, I decided to add a little cream as the sauce was pretty spicy, but you can leave it out if you prefer.

Serve with rice, and fresh coriander. We also had red bellpepper, and had I thought ahead, I'd have added some toasted cashews.

No comments: