Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Carrot & Leek Risotto with Mix-Ins

Untitled

I've had zero food inspiration for a while now, and I constantly whine about this on my twitter and facebook. (Well, it feels like it's pretty constant.) Thankfully, I have lots of foodie friends, ready to provide inspiration or just remind me of stuff I really like. Like risotto. It used to be one of Titus favorite foods too, but he's a pretty picky eater right now. We placated him by serving separate bowls of mix-ins, and a pretty basic (but still flavorful) risotto. He ended up eating all of the corn (as usual) and some risotto - not bad.

Carrot & Leek Risotto with Mix-Ins
serves 3


1/2 leek, finely sliced
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
1 tbsp butter
300 ml risotto rice (use your favorite, I'm very partial to arborio)
200 ml white wine
1000 ml vegetable stock
handful of parmesan cheese
1-2 tsp runny honey
1/2-1 tsp chipotle sauce

Heat the butter in a large pot, and the stock in another pan. Fry the leek and the carrots in butter for a few minutes without letting it color. Add the rice and turn up the heat. Let it color a little. Add the wine, and let it bubble fiercely for a minute or two. Then start adding the stock. Add more as soon as the rice looks dry. It should take about 20 minutes in total - taste the rice so you know when it's done. It should have a little bite to it. You might not need all the stock, or you might need more. (just add hot water then.)

Stir in the cheese, and season with honey,  and a little bit of chipotle sauce. Use regular chilli powder or cayenne pepper if you can't get chipotle, but the lightly smoked flavor really works here.

Mix-ins:
100 g mushrooms, quartered
100 g bacon, chopped
100 g peas, thawed (or fresh)
100 g corn, thawed (or fresh)

Fry the bacon and place in a bowl. Fry the mushrooms in the bacon fat, and serve in a separate bowl. Just serve the corn and peas, separately, as they are.

4 comments:

Pene said...

I wonder if you know that peas & corn are carbohydrates. Other vegetables can be substituted as alternatives, eg celery, zucchini.

Anne said...

Oh, you can certainly substitute anything, with whatever you like and have. I absolutely hate celery and am not fond of zucchini...

Anonymous said...

So if those are carbs? I do not think we'd eat crazily unbalanced if we ate that.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I' m Alberto from Italy.

You Have a Best website.

You have many delicious recipes.

I have a blog www.realitaliandish.wordpress.com is a blog of real italian recipesof my family, if you wont take some recipes you can take is a honor for me.

Bye from Italy CIAO.



Sorry for my english.