Thursday, August 23, 2012

Husband-Proof Brownies

Untitled

Deb of Smitten Kitchen calls these her favorite brownies. I call them husband-proof. They're the sort of brownies your non-baking husband can make for you when the baby is whiny and won't go to sleep, while your hyper toddler eats apple after apple, because he refused dinner, and when you haven't had a moment to yourself all day.

These are the brownies my husband made. And he'll make them again, because they were so simple and easy to make that they boosted his confidence. They're made in one (microwave-proof) bowl and one lined pan, so even clean-up is minimal. Yes, they contain a lot of sugar. That's what makes them so good.

Husband-Proof Brownies
85 g dark chocolate, as good as you can afford, finely chopped
115 g unsalted butter
265 g sugar
2 eggs
pinch of coarse sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
85 g all-purpose flour

Line an 8 by 8 inch square pan with nonstick foil, parchment paper or whatever you like to use for lining. (I have a great nonstick foil, always works for me!)

Melt chocolate and butter together in a bowl, in the microwave. Start at 45 seconds, stir well and then try another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.

Stir in the sugar, eggs, salt and vanilla. Finally fold in the flour and bake at 175°C for 25-30 minutes. A cake tester should come out mostly clean. Mine were perfect after 27 minutes.

Let them cool, or not - that's up to you.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that microwaving chocolate didn't destroy it! Its always terrible when you burn chocolate.

SallyBR said...

I've made these brownies before, they are pretty sweet, but oh, so delicious! ;-)

I always use the microwave to melt chocolate, as I had much better luck (and less mess) than with a double boiler

Maybe a very powerful microwave, used at 100% power could burn it too quickly, though

Amy joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Monica said...

LOVE dark chocolate so I am sure I'll love these.....

Debra White said...

So easy to make and delicious. Made a batch yesterday and will be making another batch tomorrow as they've gone already!

Gaviota said...

Wow! That's far too much sugar for those proportions (in my opinion). For 2 eggs, I use between 180-190g of sugar and it's enough. I find that this also means the chocolate flavour comes out even more. They surely look good, though.