Thursday, April 05, 2012

Almond Meringue Cake with Lemon Cream


Untitled

We started our Easter holiday today, and had a family dinner with barbecued meat, potato salad, cole slaw, my brother's awesome tomato salad, hot dogs and... this cake. I actually aimed to make something I had done before, my frozen lemon meringue cake, but then decided to toast the almonds, alter the quantities, use store-bought lemon curd, and top it with lots of fruit.. oh, and I didn't serve it frozen. After all those changes, I figured I'd might as well give a new recipe, too. 

Almond Meringue Cake with Lemon Cream 
serves 8-10

4 egg whites
200 ml sugar
100 ml toasted almonds, finely chopped
200 g lemon curd
300 ml heavy cream
1 pinch vanilla sugar

topping: 
fresh raspberries
mango
kiwifruit
passionfruit

Whisk the egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and keep whisking until you have a glossy, stiff meringue. (I use my Kitchen-Aid.) Fold in the almonds, and spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper into a circle. It should be about 25 cm in diameter. Bake at 150°C for about 50 minutes. Let it cool completely, before moving it on to a plate. (A cake lifter comes in handy, as it'll be really fragile.) 

Whisk the cream with the vanilla sugar, into soft peaks. Fold in the lemon curd. Spread all over the cake, and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. (It'll keep for a long time at this point, so you can prepare up to here.) 

20 minutes before serving (or so), remove it from the freezer and decorate with your chosen fruit and berries. 

Recipe in Swedish:

3 comments:

Shonie said...

This looks really good!

Unknown said...

Yum! I´m not a huge fan of heavy cakes but I love these kind of ones... Happy Easter!

Cupcakesfluffan said...

Oj så gott :-)