Monday, December 26, 2011

Crock-Pot Beef Stew

slowcooker-gryta

So how about something other than holiday food? I know I'm pretty much done with christmas food by now, and I definitely don't want to see more candy.. for a while. (I still have a recipe or two to post, though.)

I look through my new cookbooks that Santa brought, trying to come up with a menu for New Year's Eve as well as something for our annual 13-course dinner... nothing set yet, so I'll have to keep looking! Meanwhile, I let the crock-pot do some work.

Crock-Pot Beef Stew
750 g stewing beef, in large dice
140 g bacon, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
150 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 leek, thinly sliced
10 shallots, peeled
4 carrots, sliced into coins
1 beef stock cube
150 ml porter beer (or another dark, flavorful beer)
350 ml red wine
butter or oil for frying
rice and smetana or crème fraîche for serving

Start by browning the meat, bacon, garlic and mushrooms, and add to your crock-pot. Add leeks, shallots, carrots, the stock cube, porter and red wine. Let the pot cook for 8 hours on low.

Serve with rice and a dollop of smetana or crème fraîche.

Recipe in Swedish:
Köttgryta i Crock-Pot

1 comment:

Nicole Gamble said...

So simple and so perfect! Yammy! Thanks for sharing!