Monday, June 06, 2011

Fluffy Rice Pancakes

ricepancakes-1

I have a (very vague) memory of my grandma making tiny rice pancakes for me as a kid. They were not at all like these, but the flavor is similar. Hers were more like Swedish (thin) pancakes, but small, and with rice. I haven't been able to find a recipe that looks promising, so for this, I just took my favorite recipe for American pancakes and added rice.

This is the perfect dish to make when you have leftover rice. I often do, because I always aim to have a little extra - either to make fried rice, or now that I've discoved this dish, to make this.

They're more filling than regular pancakes, and a bit sturdier. Easy to eat cold as well, and without anything else - I liked mine with maple syrup, but they were great on their own too.

Fluffy Rice Pancakes
10-12 pancakes

250 ml buttermilk, filmjolk or neutral yogurt
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 egg
1-200 ml cold, cooked rice

2 tbsp sugar
250 ml all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk the wet ingredients with the rice. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and add the wet ones. Stir until all lumps are gone.

Fry small pancakes in butter on medium heat. They're ready to flip when they start to look dry, and when they have small bubbles on the surface.

ricepancakes-2
And Titus loved them...

Recipe in Swedish:
Fluffiga risplättar

4 comments:

Una Semplice Passione said...

Ciao Anne, Rice pancakes? Yummy!!! I'm gonna try this one...

Disa said...

Jag har inte ätit ris pannkakorna du skrev om, men du kan prova att blanda vanlig svensk pannkakssmet med risgrynsgrot ...
Mitt recept för risgrynsgrot är bara arborio eller sushi ris kokt med mjölk. Kanske det skulle vara mjuk nog att blanda in i crepe-liknande svensk pannkakssmet?

Lynnea said...

What a fantastic way to use up cooked rice. I'm excited to try this!

Līga Krista said...

i did substitute the wheat flour with bovete, rice and majs mjol self made mixture, instead of sugar put the ljys syrup and it turned out so great, that i did even blog about it and did not forget to put a link to your site as well :)