Sunday, January 09, 2011
So I tried to make nutless macarons...
Again, I tried making french macarons using coconut, rather than almond meal. And again, I totally failed. My first attempt was quite tasty, but ugly - I had used regular coocnut, which I'd toasted and ground. This time, I used coconut flour that I lugged home from New York and I somehow expected that to work perfectly. It sure didn't.
First, it absorbed a LOT more liquid. I used five egg whites rather than three, and it was still nowhere near pipe-able. I ended up rolling small balls which I flattened, to make approximate macaron shapes, as you can see in the photo. In fact, I'm not completely sure if the photo is taken before or after baking, and that should tell you quite a lot. Nothing, nothing at all, happened during baking.
In the end, they were ok. Somewhat tasty. But completely dense. Definitely nothing at all like macarons, that's for sure.