Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Caramel Cookie Brittle

caramelcookiebark

As usual, my blog timing is totally off, which means I have tons of christmas things to tell you about over the coming weeks. Prepare for christmas cookies well into January! (Especially since I plan to use the week between christmas and New Year's for a sort of yearly round-up of my favorites.) Anyway. I've been trying new things as usual, and this cookie brittle is pretty interesting. I found the recipe in several places, so I suppose it's quite popular, and it was also quite a hit at the party I brought it to. I wasn't a huge fan myself, I think the caramel was a bit too dark, and if I make it again I'll probably cut a minute or two off the baking time. That said, it's very low-effort, and very tasty. Do try it - you could decorate it with lots of things - I think some sea salt would be elegant, but crushed M&M:s would be delicious.

Caramel Cookie Brittle

150 g saltines
250 ml brown sugar
220 g butter, unsalted
300 g dark chocolate

Place the saltines in a lined baking pan, close together and touching.

In a small saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil and let it cook for three minutes. Mine looked badly separated but I didn't let that bother me.

Pour the caramel over the crackers, and make sure all are well covered. Bake at 200°C for 6-7 minutes.

Melt the chocolate - I always use the microwave - and pour over the now caramelized crackers. Place in the fridge to set completely, and break into small pieces.

Recipe in Swedish:
Kolakaks-bräck

No comments: