Friday, December 18, 2009

Peppermint Meringues

peppermintmeringue-2

As you might have noticed on Twitter, I've been making a lot of christmas candy and cookies lately! I made these yummies yesterday - really quick and easy, and super tasty. For a special treat, you could dip them in dark chocolate.. or perhaps sandwich them together with some chocolate ganache. I don't bother, I just eat them straight up.

They're perfectly crispy with a slightly chewy center - yum!

Peppermint Meringues
(printable recipe)
makes at least 50 small meringues

3 egg whites
200 ml sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
50 g peppermint candy
1-2 tsp peppermint extract
red food coloring - I use gel colors from Wilton.

peppermintmeringue-1

Mix egg whites and sugar in a bowl. Place it on top of a saucepan with simmering water, and mix on high speed with a handheld mixer, until the meringue turns bright white, thick and shiny. Remove the bowl from the heat, and whisk for a few more minutes. Slowly add the lemon juice.

Crush the peppermint candy very finely, and add to the batter along with the mint extract. Stir in some color - either stir well and you'll end up with pink meringues, or just marble some color throughout. Place the batter in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (Wilton 1M is what I use) and pipe small stars onto a lined baking sheet.

Bake at 100°C for 45 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the meringues cool completely.

Recipe in Swedish:
Polkagrismaränger

4 comments:

Puglette said...

oh yum!! those sound fabulous. when i was a child the bakery where my parents got our sourdough bread made meringue cookies. i would get just a few as a treat, i always choose the chocolate ones. so good, that texture is wonderful!
happy holidays!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

cabin design said...

I love those meringues! I always have those when I was young. My mother always makes those! I am starting to miss them

Katie said...

wow these look wonderful and so dainty

FoodTherapy4Me said...

I have been looking for something to add to my holiday food gift bags and these just might be it! The perfect combo of tastiness, visually appealing, and just a bit different from what everyone else gives away. Thank you!!