Thursday, October 22, 2009

Happy 5th birthday!

cherry-apricot-jellyroll

It's that time of year again - blogaversary! My blog turns five years old today - I can't believe how time flies!

I really wanted to make a proper cake, but it didn't go so well. I tried creating something from scratch - a crispy peanut layer with apple mousse and cinnamon jelly - but it didn't work all that great. Tasty, but ugly - I'll show you eventually, but not today. So, I opted for the ever-simple jelly roll, topped with whipped cream. It tasted great, and took just a few minutes to put together! I added a whole vanilla bean to make it a bit more luxurious - but that's just because I have a lot of it at the moment. (Ebay score!)

I used home made cherry apricot jam, which obviously made things a lot tastier but also less instant - but use whatever you happen to have!

Vanilla Bean Jelly Roll
(printable recipe)

3 eggs
150 ml sugar
200 ml flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp water
1 vanilla bean

sugar for sprinkling
jam for filling

Beat the eggs and sugar until very fluffy. Fold in the baking powder, flour and water, and the seeds of the vanilla bean.

Spread in a lined rimmed baking sheets, and bake at 250°C for five minutes. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with sugar, and immediately turn the cake up side down onto a second baking sheet, lined with paper. Peel off the first paper, and place the rimmed baking sheet on top to preserve the cake's moistness while it cools.

When cool, spread with your favorite jam, and roll up tightly. Wrap in plastic and store in the fridge until you need it.

Recipe in Swedish:
Rulltårta med vaniljstång

Last year - a Swedish version of the Black Forest Gateau.

14 comments:

Lara said...

happy anniversary! this is quite an achievement!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Happy anniversary and keep up with the great work!

Cheers,

Rosa

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Five years WOW. Something we can all apsire to.

Cakelaw said...

Happy blogoversary Anne. I am a long-time lurker here and I love your blog.

debbie koenig said...

Happy blogaversary, Anne! My 5-year mark is Saturday--I had no idea we started so close together. And now look at us, all mom-like.

Pille said...

Happy blog anniversary, Anne!!

Anonymous said...

Grattis kära syster, ditt bloggande förgyller min dag...:) tack, hoppas på flera år till...Kramar Ehva

Pene said...

Congratulations, Anne.
BTW have you had a chance to watch "Julie and Julia" yet? It's a great 'blog' movie. I loved it.

Dagmar said...

Happy anniversary!!!!!

P.K said...

Happy anniversary! Your blog is the first one I started reading. I did not have an idea what blogs were about until I somehow ended up on yours. So this is very special. I have enjoyed your blog very much. Five years is quite an achievement. Congratulations.

Kevin said...

Congratulations!

Lena said...

Happy bloggbirthday!

Katie said...

Wow 5 years! Happy blog-anniversary

Viktoria said...

Congratulations!!!