Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

cinnamonbagels2

I've made bagels before, but I like this recipe that I found over at Smitten Kitchen. I've simplified it by not retarding the bagels overnight - but you certainly can - and I find that it works really well like this as well. I also don't bother with different oven temperatures or rotating the sheets, but then again, I have a convection oven with fans, so it bakes pretty evenly.

You can certainly omit the cinnamon and raisin for variety, and top them with whatever you like. I don't like toppings on my bagels, but I do like a bit of flavor in the dough itself. Any ideas for other things than cinnamon? I'm thinking of doing a more bread-y version with caraway seeds.

After baking, I slice all the bagels and freeze them. Every night, I defrost two, and then pop them in the toaster for breakfast for me and Per. Very convenient!

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
(printable recipe)
makes about 15

Starter:
1 tsp dry yeast
600 g high-gluten flour (can be labelled as strong or bread flour)
625 ml water, lukewarm

Mix everything, and leave to rise for about two hours.

Main dough:
the starter
1 tsp dry yeast
450-500 g high-gluten flour
5 tbsp sugar
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp molasses or honey

200 g raisins

cinnamonraisinbagels-0907

Knead everything but the raisins into a very hard dough. It shouldn't feel sticky. Count on 8-10 minutes in a Kitchen-Aid, or twice the time if you do it by hand. Add the raisins towards the end.

Divide the dough into 15 equally sized pieces (my bagels are usually around 120 g) and shape into round balls. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.

Shape each ball into a bagel, by poking a hole in the middle with your finger, then gently stretching the hole and twirling it around your fingers. Leave to rest for another 20 minutes. At this point, you can retard the bagels by placing them in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

Bring a wide pot of water to boil, and add 1 tbsp baking soda. Boil the bagels for one minute on each side (I can usually fit three at a time), and then place them on a baking sheet. Bake at 225°C for 10 minutes.

Recipe in Swedish:
Bagels med kanel och russin

8 comments:

Holly And the Ivy said...

I made some of these today seeing as I had nothing else planned :) If you would like to have a look I have some images of them on this entry :D
Thanks for the recipe! xx

http://pricklythorns.blogspot.com/2009/07/eeee-bagels.html

Anne said...

Woohoo, that was fast! Yours look great!

Goody said...

I've had terrific luck with spinach and hard cheese in bagels. The key is getting the cooked spinach completely free of liquid, which I do by wringing it out in a kitchen towel. Grate in your favourite hard cheese and they really are superb. Works well with sourdough if you have starter sitting around in the fridge.

http://www.eattheblog.blogspot.com

DoughGirl said...

Oh my, those look so good! They look great!

CaraRose1977 said...

My favorite fruit bagel is blueberry and my favorite savory bagel is Rosemary and Asiago cheese. My friends here in Basel, Switzerland are going to be very happy that I found your site.

Pene said...

They look good, Anne. How about adding saffron, or eggs, to get a lovely yellow colour. Or substitute tomato juice for water to get an orange/pinkish colour. You haven't made cardamon bagels yet?

CaraRose1977 said...

Hooray!!!! These turned out great! I used 4 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp honey, and 1 Tbsp malt and about 25% of the flour is "ruchmehl" or Wheat flour. In the land of the "fake bagel" they will be the perfect hostess gift to take to a Swiss National Day party tonight.

Peggy said...

I used the smitten kitchen cinnaomon raisin recipe too and they turned out so well! I was somewhat surprised. Perfectly chewy just like the bagels I've purchased.

I did keep them in the fridge overnight but forgot to lower the temperature during the last half of baking. I can't see that it's harmed them. I've eaten five today already, plain and untoasted!