Thursday, April 16, 2009

Jamie's Lamb Korma

lammkorma

This is the first recipe I've tried from Jamie Oliver's latest book, Ministry of Food. It's really a chicken korma in the book, but I used some pre-cooked lamb that I had in the freezer and that was just fantastic. Feel free to try it with chicken though, or raw lamb for that matter, but it might take a little longer to cook. And do brown the meat before you do the rest, in that case.

I know the recipe looks long, and with a whole lot of ingredients, but most of them goes in the spice paste and that's super easy to make. So, don't worry - this is *really* easy.

I've just made some minor changes from the recipe, as I was running low on chili and coconut, but if you want Jamie's original recipe, get the book. It's a nice one!

Lamb Korma
serves 4, generously

600 g diced lamb meat, cooked
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, minced
small bunch of fresh coriander, separated into stalks and leaves (and stalks chopped)
400 g (1 tin) chickpeas
some neutral cooking oil
400 ml (1 tin) coconut milk
3n tbsp flaked almonds
1 batch korma paste, see below

Korma Paste:
2 garlic cloves
1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp neutral cooking oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 green chilis
3 tbsp coconut (unsweetened)
2 tbsp almonds, finely chopped
small bunch of fresh coriander
2 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp whole coriander seeds

Start by toasting the cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pan, until golden and fragrant. Grind them in a pestle and mortar. Peel the garlic and ginger, and mix all ingredients in a food processor until you have a smooth paste.

Then move on to the korma itself. Heat a little bit of oil in a deep pan or pot, and fry the onion, ginger and coriander stalks on medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir well so it doesn't burn. Add coconut milk, the korma paste, flaked almonds, chickpeas and the cooked lamb. Add 100-200 ml of water. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and lower the heat. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.

Serve with rice and the fresh coriander leaves. Additional flaked almonds are good too, and if you'd like, a spoonful of thick yogurt is perfect.

Recipe in Swedish:
Lamm Korma

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That looks delicious! Where did you get the fresh coriander in Stockholm?

Anne said...

Melissa, it's available in every grocery store. (Fresh herbs shelf.) I remember when I first came back after a year in the US though - I had really started to love cilantro as it's generally called there, and couldn't find it anywhere! Much easier now, thankfully.

Anonymous said...

what kind of lamb meat did you use? Shoulder?leg? I would like to make it but I don't know what to ask the butcher for. And how did you cook it? Just browned in a pan?

Keep healthy and bebe too. :)

Anna

Anne said...

Anna, my lamb was a leftover piece of leg, that was slowly roasted for another dinner. It was so big I ended up freezing chunks of ready-cooked meat. If I was to make this from scratch, I'd choose fairly tender lamb, as it doesn't cook for very long.

Jeanne said...

Yum. Korma was the thin edge of the wedge for me - the dish that got me started eating & enjoying curry :) Isn't it funny how the recipes always look so long and intimidating, but are actualyl really simple and REALLY worthwhile...

Alison said...

I haven't even finished cooking this dish yet, and my house smells WONDERFUL and the sauce is deelish!

Its so lovely to come accross a recipe that I don't need to tweak, modify or abandon :) Its perfect just as it is!!

(Plus I didn't even use fresh ingredients - all preground - and still, fantastic!!)