Monday, November 24, 2008

Taco Pie

tacogratang1

This is something which I suspect is purely Swedish. I've told you lots of times how Swedes love their tacos - which is what they say for all things remotely tex-mex, really. Taco night can be anything from fajitas to quesadillas, or, of course, normal tacos. (This is probably because we have just about no Mexican restaurants at all, except for one sub-standard fast-food chain.) Anyway. This is something I tried recently, but probably won't ever make again: a taco pie.

Mine doesn't have a pie shell though - I'm not a huge fan of pie crust, and found a recipe for making a pie "naked", so... I suppose it's more of a gratin. It's basically one layer of cream cheese and crème fraîche mixed together, topped with a layer of spicy ground beef with peppers and some other veggies. On top of that, lots of cheese.

tacogratang2

This is how we ate it - with nacho chips, guacamole, salsa, crushed pineapple (some Swedes even like sliced bananas in their tacos - and peanuts, too!) and fresh coriander. It wasn't bad, but frankly, not all that great, either.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You like macaroni and cheese, if I recall correctly. Have you ever tried taco pie made with mac 'n cheese?

Anne said...

Nope, can't say that I have! But I have tried stirring taco-spiced beef into mac'n'cheese, and that was pretty delicious :)

Phyllis said...

This sounds quite a bit like a chip-dip that my grandmother makes. It starts with a layer of cream cheese topped with re-fried beans, ground beef, and layers of whatever taco ingredients you like (i.e. chopped tomatoes, salsa, sliced black olives, cheddar cheese, chopped onions, etc.). It's pretty good, but I prefer less of the cream cheese and more of the taco ingredients. Actually, it might be more tasty if you substitute sour cream for the cream cheese... hmmmm...

Unknown said...

I agree - this sounds like an appetizer we call 7-layer dip. Here's a good example of the breed:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Seven-Layer-Taco-Dip/Detail.aspx

Everyone loves it at parties, but I wouldn't want to make a meal of it.

When you wrote "taco pie" I thought it was going to be an iconic Bisquik recipe called "impossible taco pie" and then I wondered how you would get Bisquik in Sweden.

Feline Flodin said...

Äh, tacopaj är helt fab, and you know it. ;D