Friday, November 21, 2008

Great panini for Friday night

salamipanini

Did I ever tell you that I got the Top Chef cookbook? I don't think I did. Top Chef has long been one of my favorite tv-shows. It's just so entertaininig - I've never missed a single episode. I haven't tried many recipes though - even though many are available on the Bravo website, they usually strike me as poorly written and little more than notes.

So, it was with slight trepidation I picked up the Top Chef Cookbook which came out a few months ago. However, I needn't have worried. The book is much more carefully written, and it's clear that the recipes have been adapted slightly to work out for the home cook. Apart from recipes - which it has very many of - it also has tons of information about the competition itself. Loads of photos, loads of quotes, plenty of stats on the cheftestants, and everything else you could want. I love it.

And so far, I've only tried one recipe: Dave's salami panini from Season one, from the finale in Las Vegas. We used ciabatta bread, filled it with pepper salami and mild gouda cheese, and mustard mixed with a little bit of honey. I think we meant to put in roasted red peppers, but forgot. No problem, because this was really delicious just like this. And with a sandwich grill, it takes virtually no time to prepare. Perfect after a busy work week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, looking good!!! Yam-ooo... Nice food a friday eavning with a beer.. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is "people with no children" food, perfect for watching a movie marathon....It makes me miss the time in my life when dinner was mainly on the plate and less on the floor LOL

Ash said...

those panini's look so good! I'm a huge fan of the grilled sandwich!!!