Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Leftover deliciousness

fennel-chicken-feta

I was having dinner by myself a few nights ago. Not something which happens a whole lot, but once in a while. I rarely cook for myself, but instead I turn to comforting easy things - and I have to admit, I often use shortcuts. (Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup is a favorite) For this particular little wonder-in-a-bowl, I used up leftovers.

-Half a fennel bulb, cut up into pieces and fried in olive oil and a tiny pinch of sugar until very caramelized and crunchy-chewy.
-A little bit of leftover rotisserie chicken, shredded.
-A spoonful of crumbled feta cheese.
-A small handful of corn (frozen).

I shared with the tiny kittens - Kitty wasn't interested, as human food seems completely uninteresting to her, but Klara loved this. She particularly enjoyed the fennel, which I found quite strange. (No, I don't let my cats eat lots of food except their own kibble, but I do let them taste things once in a while. Especially when they're very insistent, in this case, hanging from the bowl...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice experience..carry on and do share.

Katie said...

Sometimes its the leftovers which make the nicest meals.

Shalum said...

So true. Leftovers absorb all the tastes. And making something nice out of it is always fun. Nice post :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks very good. When my cat was a kitten he liked to try things too and really liked pasta and noodles--how can you resist giving them a bite?! Now he isn't quite as interested in my food he just wants (actually demands) to eat whenever I eat!

Jeanne said...

I love this sort of leftover meal - but sadly they are often unrepeatable! Last night I was picking a chicken carcass clean after I had boiled it up for stock and the neighbour's cat who treats us as his second home was literally swinging from the oven door - the smell was driving him insane! We had a cat when I was little (a silver tabby Persian) who used to go absolutely CRAZY for... tinned white asparagus. Really.