Friday, July 25, 2008

Walnut Brownies

bestbrownies

For my Fourth of July party, I wanted to bake a batch of brownies. What brownie recipe to choose, then? There are so many. Endless, really. I googled "best brownies" and found a recipe at Simply Recipes that looked very promising. I had to throw out my pecans as they were going stale, but I had plenty of walnuts instead, And after some minor adaptions, well, this recipe was made. The brownies, cut. Admired. Devoured.

The almond extract might sound strange, but oh boy, it gives a great flavor to these little squares of joy. Try for yourself - after all, it's Friday...

Walnut Brownies
makes 16

130 g butter
300 ml sugar (1.2 cups)
200 ml cocoa powder (o.8 cups)
2 tsp almond extract
2 eggs
125 ml flour (1/2 cup)
100 ml coarsely chopped walnuts plus 16 halves

Melt the butter in the microwave (or on the stove if you prefer) and stir in sugar and cocoa until you have a smooth batter. Stir in the almond extract. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. At this point, the batter should be nice and shiny. Add the flour, and stir really well until you can't see it anymore, and then stir it some more. (The original recipe said 40 strokes - I didn't count.) Finally add the walnuts.

Pour into a lined pan - mine is 8 inch square - and place the reserved walnut halves in an even pattern. Bake at 175°C for about 20 minutes.

bestbrownies-prebaking

Recipe in Swedish:
Brownies med valnötter

6 comments:

Katie said...

Ohh yum. Adding almond extract to brownies is a wonderful idea. How come I never thought of this - thanks for the inspiration.

Lynn's Life Blog said...

Hi Anne,
January 10, 2007 you posted a recipe for your Parmesan Shortbread. I have tried to approximate the grams and deciliters into cups Tbsp., tea. as a conversion, but I can't get your recipe to really supply me with the nessary measurements. The amounts still sound too small to create even 24 of the shortbreads. Does your 60 gram's truly convert to approx. 1/4 cup?

Also, I did get See's Candy to provide me with a list of ingredients, (without measurements of course or percentages) but at least I know the basic ingredients to the dk. chocolate raspberry candy filling. Now I am going to purchase a book on basic candy making and see where I can go from there.

Currently in the Central Valley areas of Northern California, USA is very hot, approx. 100 degrees farenheit, so it is too hot to make candy anyway. When the weather cools down a bit, I will give that effort a try.

I do want to try a couple of your things that I spotted while perusing your website. Currently I am in need of a couple of new appetizer recipes, so I started there.

Thanks for all of your efforts in your blogging.

Anne said...

Katie, I hope you like them as much as I did!

Lynnette - it really is a very tiny batch. 60 g of flour is roughly 100 ml, which is about 0.4 cups - so a little less than half a cup. With parmesan, which ways more, it's less so 1/4 cup sounds about right. 60 g is about 2 oz, if that helps.

Anonymous said...

Hej! Vilken underbar blogg du har! Tänker definitivt göra dom browniesarna någon dag här framöver! Yummi!

Ed said...

I like almond extract in just about anything. I wish that, as a fragrance chemical, it lasted longer. But it tastes wonderful. I used to practically pour it into this cheescake mix (store-bought) that I used to make when I was younger. Lerv it.

Feline Flodin said...

Mmm... Som en kladdkakebas nästan. Är brownies och kladdkaka så likt generellt? Jag tog just en kladdkaka i ugnen - en mjukkakeutveckling av dina sepegoda Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles. :D