Monday, April 07, 2008

Lime Jalapeño Slaw with Peanuts

indiancoleslaw

Here's another recipe from Suvir Saran, the writer of American Masala. (And this blog!) God, how I love this one. I've made it at least four times in the past few months, and it's decidedly addictive. I've simplified the original recipe - omitting a few things that aren't easy to find here, changing the quantities slightly. And still, it's so good. I can't imagine it being any better than this! It goes perfectly with a piece of chicken or fish, but it's also really nice on its own. It's sour, spicy, vibrant, crunchy and fresh, and I just can't get enough of it!

Lime Jalapeño Slaw with Peanuts
Serves 2

500 ml (2 cups) finely sliced cabbage (more or less - it's not exact)
the juice of 1 lime
2-3 cm fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1,5 tbsp white wine vinegar
1,5 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp flaky sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 jalapeño pepper, finely minced
200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
handful of toasted peanuts, chopped

Mix ginger, lime, vinegar, sugar, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, onion, jalapeño, tomatoes and coriander, and stir so that everything is nicely coated. Top with the peanuts and serve!

Recipe in Swedish:
Kålsallad med lime, chili och jordnötter

6 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

And now I know what I am having for dinner tonight! I love this blog.

Anonymous said...

it's what i never did!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummi! I´ll try it leaving out the coriander;) I have such a hard time learning to like it!

Amanda said...

That really looks fantastic--this is going onto my 'must try' list!

BTW, I've given you an award on my blog, here.

Nikki said...

We tried this yesterday and it was SO good! SO flavorful! The perfect thing to have alongside a more bland main dish. Love it! Thanks!

MaggieB said...

This will be GREAT on Cinco de Mayo with the steak fatijas recipe I just put up! YUM!

Thanks for sharing!