Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Buckwheat Cookies with Cocoa Nibs

bovetekakor

After all that coffee yesterday, let me tell you about a cookie. A really, really great cookie. And a fairly famous one - this one has definitely been making the rounds in many food blogs! (As Nibby Buckwheat Butter Cookies.) So much indeed that I can't remember where I first saw it. Anyway, the recipe is from Alice Medrich's Pure Dessert, and after trying several cookies from it, this book is definitely one I'd want to have! Everything has turned out so great.

These cookies are easy to make. You just mix a dough, form logs, chill them, slice and bake. And you can even freeze the dough, to make sure you're never more than ten minutes away from delicious cookie-delight. Not that I'm that organized, mind you. I generally freeze the finished cookies though - and that works out well.

Cocoa nibs are really nice by the way, they're chocolatey but not melty, and they stay nice and crunchy. Perfect when you want crunch without nuts. And speaking of nuts, the buckwheat in these cookies actually impart a slightly nutty flavour. Very nice.

Speaking of cocoa nibs - I still have a lot (made by Vahlrona by the way) and I think these cookies will be my next project.

Buckwheat Cookies with Cocoa Nibs
60 small cookies

300 ml regular white flour
180 ml buckwheat flour
220 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
160 ml sugar
1/2 tsp salt
80 ml cocoa nibs
1-2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the two types of flour in a bowl.

Beat butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and cocoa nibs, then all the flour. The dough will be very dry, but keep working it until it turns nice and smooth. It will still be thick, but it shouldn't be dry.

Shape the dough into logs, and if you'd like, flatten them into triangles. Wrap them in plastic foil, and leave them in the fridge to chill for at least two hours, but preferrably over night. Slice thinly - but maybe not too thinly, mine spread a little bit during baking and were a bit fragile - and place on a baking sheet. Leave a little space in between.

Bake at 175°C for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let them cool on the baking sheet, as they're quite breakable.

Recipe in Swedish:
Bovetekakor med kakaosplitter

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Gosh, I'd never even HEARD of cocoa nibs! I don't get around much, I guess. :) I looked 'em up, though, and now I know what they are but -- did you get yours here in Sweden?

Anonymous said...

I've given up on cookies that require the 'creaming method'(you can't fool my by saying Beat butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, I know what you mean. I don't have my stand mixer and doing that with a hand mixer is like voluntarily joining a labor camp.

But you can send me some ;)

Anne said...

Nikki - I did! But I can't seem to remember where.. I got my first batch at a chocolate festival, the second one was ordered.. I can't really remember where it was from though - I'll see if I can find it.

Haha - you're right, without a stand mixer, it's pretty hard work. I love my Kitchen-Aid... although if you do let the butter actually get to room temperature (I almost never do!) it's a lot easier.

Elina Jonsson said...

anne - i just wanted to tell you i dont read your blog for the recipes - but for the photos. they are truly amazing and inspiring and i am so glad you post new goodies so often. one of my favourite photo blogs for sure..!

Anne said...

Elina, thank you! :)