Monday, February 04, 2008

Sunchoke Soup with Balsamico Braised Pancetta

sunchokesoup

By now, you might have learned that I love sunchokes, or jerusalem artichokes as they're also known. One of the best things to do with it is make a soup, and this particular soup is especially lovely. It's pretty rich, but the tangy saltiness from the braised pork.. oh, it just goes so well together. I served this as an appetizer for New Year's Eve. (And it's perfect if you have a lighter main dish planned.)

You can use bacon instead of pancetta, but it's better with something less smokey.

Sunchoke Soup with Balsamico Braised Pork
Serves 4

1/2 tbsp olive oil
500 g sunchokes
1 shallot
2 garlic cloves
100 ml white wine
300 ml chicken stock
200 ml cream
salt, white pepper, lemon juice

150 g pancetta, cubed
3-4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
50 g roasted cashew nuts, coarsely chopped

Begin with the pancetta. Fry it until crispy, then add the balsamic vinnegar and let it simmer until it's completely reduced.

Peel and chop onions, garlics and sunchokes. Fry everything on medium heat, with the olive oil, until the onion is translucent. Add wine and stock and cook for 10 minutes. The sunchokes should be soft by now. Add cream, and cook for 10 more minutes.

Pour the soup in a blender, or use a handheld blender, and mix until it's smooth. Add water if you feel that it's too thick.

Season with salt, white pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Divide the pancetta in four soup bowls, pour the soup, and finish with a sprinkling of chopped cashew nuts.

Recept på engelska:
Jordärtskockssoppa med balsamicobräserat sidfläsk

7 comments:

Annemarie said...

I love sunchokes too,even though the don't necessarily rest peacefully in my gut. Still, sounds just wonderful with the braised pork.

african vanielje said...

That looks so pretty Ann and I'm sure it is delicious. Just the right type of warmth for this time of year.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Darn. Sunchokes are out of season here now. They won't be back until the fall. It sounds like this soup is worth the wait though.

Anonymous said...

Hej Anne,
Sunchokes is also a favourite of mine and like Annemarie, it does something to my tummy that makes me feel "unsettled" and I get mini-insomnia.
Strange! But still it hasn't prevented me from trying out new dishes with this wonderful root. Your soup is just temptingly good!

Johanna said...

Mmmmm...jordärtskockor! They´re apparently real easy to grow, wonder why they cost so much. At least in my store. But they´re really the best! Your blog´s the best, as always!

Jeanne said...

Oh how I love Jerusalem artichokes... I have 3 in my fridge at the moment just waiting to become soup over the weekend - yaaaay!

Birdie said...

I harvested about 15 pounds of sunchokes yesterday and tried your recipe. Excellent blend of flavors. I think this soup will be the first course for Thanksgiving dinner.