Monday, February 25, 2008

Red Curry with Shrimp & Chickpeas

redcurryprawnmango

This dish comes from Nigella Express, and it's perfect in the weather transition we're having - the sun is shining, and the papers are all reporting that spring is indeed here. In February? This feels a bit weird. But I'm not complaining - I don't miss the snow at all. And with this dinner, with bright and fresh flavors, yet hearty feel, I'm hoping that you'll feel the same.

Red Curry with Shrimp & Chickpeas
Serves 3-4

1 tbsp neutral cooking oil
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 tbsp red curry paste
400 ml coconut milk
250 ml chicken stock
2 tsp fish sauce
1 can (about 400 g) chickpeas
200 g peeled shrimp
1 tsp lemon juice
150 g mango, diced
3-4 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or a wok. Fry the onion and the curry paste for a few minutes. Add coconut milk, chicken stock and fish sauce, and bring to a boil.

Rinse and dry the chickpeas very well, and add them to the pan. Let them boil for about 15 minutes. Add the mango and the shrimp and a little bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Taste to see if you want any salt or pepper, add the coriander, and serve straight away.

I had this with rice, but bulgur would be good too. Or just eat it on its own.

Recipe in Swedish:
Röd curry med räkor och kikärter

7 comments:

Jessica said...

well and since we basically had NO snow this year except a few days I am merrily hopping through the sunshine!

Feline Flodin said...

Åh! Verkar juste du. Har du jobbat på curryskillsen? :) Säg till när vi ska äta sushi på det där stället, förresten. ;D

Brilynn said...

Send some of that warm weather my way... or some of that shrimp!

Greg said...

I do love Thai curries. Red curry is my second favorite to green curry. That looks great!

Oh, I've tagged you for a MeMe. Check out my meme post for more info.

http://gregcooks.blogspot.com

Annemarie said...

So many Nigella Express recipes poking around these days. Interesting combo for the curry, indeed must have been colorful.

Jeanne said...

I LOVE that idea! The curry flavours with the sweetness of the shrimp meat and the mango just works for me. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

Dazy said...

I'm making this for dinner tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!