Monday, February 25, 2008

Red Curry with Shrimp & Chickpeas


This dish comes from Nigella Express, and it's perfect in the weather transition we're having - the sun is shining, and the papers are all reporting that spring is indeed here. In February? This feels a bit weird. But I'm not complaining - I don't miss the snow at all. And with this dinner, with bright and fresh flavors, yet hearty feel, I'm hoping that you'll feel the same.

Red Curry with Shrimp & Chickpeas
Serves 3-4

1 tbsp neutral cooking oil
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 tbsp red curry paste
400 ml coconut milk
250 ml chicken stock
2 tsp fish sauce
1 can (about 400 g) chickpeas
200 g peeled shrimp
1 tsp lemon juice
150 g mango, diced
3-4 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or a wok. Fry the onion and the curry paste for a few minutes. Add coconut milk, chicken stock and fish sauce, and bring to a boil.

Rinse and dry the chickpeas very well, and add them to the pan. Let them boil for about 15 minutes. Add the mango and the shrimp and a little bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Taste to see if you want any salt or pepper, add the coriander, and serve straight away.

I had this with rice, but bulgur would be good too. Or just eat it on its own.

Recipe in Swedish:
Röd curry med räkor och kikärter


Jessika said...

well and since we basically had NO snow this year except a few days I am merrily hopping through the sunshine!

Féline said...

Åh! Verkar juste du. Har du jobbat på curryskillsen? :) Säg till när vi ska äta sushi på det där stället, förresten. ;D

Brilynn said...

Send some of that warm weather my way... or some of that shrimp!

Greg said...

I do love Thai curries. Red curry is my second favorite to green curry. That looks great!

Oh, I've tagged you for a MeMe. Check out my meme post for more info.

Annemarie said...

So many Nigella Express recipes poking around these days. Interesting combo for the curry, indeed must have been colorful.

Jeanne said...

I LOVE that idea! The curry flavours with the sweetness of the shrimp meat and the mango just works for me. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

Dazy said...

I'm making this for dinner tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!