Friday, January 25, 2008

Swedish Chocolate Balls

chokladbollar1

I've written about chocolate balls before - they were a childhood favorite for me and pretty much everyone else in my generation, but they're also sold in just about any café. Before political correctness came to Sweden, these were called "negro balls". Yes. They were. And they still are, by many people. Although some of us cringe, and blush, and call them chocolate balls nowadays.

They're dead simple to make at home, even though I hadn't done so for many, many years. Until I picked up a new cookbook, called Saras Kök (Sara's Kitchen) by Sara Begnér, who had a television show last year and is known as a pretty healthy cook. Her book is nice, and isn't just for those counting calories. However, most of the recipes are healthier, and somewhat low in fat. So what's the first thing I make?

This. Which is not at all healthy, obviously. Sara says that they're so intensely chocolate-y that you can easily get satisfied by just one or two. Umm. Yeah. Right. Let's change the subject and get on with the recipe, yes?

A note on decoration. You can choose to roll the balls in coconut flakes or in pearl sugar, and I always thought I defintely preferred coconut. Except.. well, we made both this time since Per prefers sugar, and I ended up eating most of his. So next time, it'll be all pearl sugar for me.

Oh. And you can use all oatmeal instead of half oat, half rye. That's really the traditional way to do it - adding rye is Sara's touch, and I liked it that way.

Chocolate Balls

150 ml rolled oats
100 ml rye flakes (looks just like rolled oats, only rye)
50 ml sugar
50 ml cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 tbsp vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
2 tbsp hot, strong coffee
50 g unsalted butter

To decorate:
pearl sugar
coconut flakes

chokladbollar2

Mix oatmeal, rye, sugar, cocoa, vanilla sugar (or extract) and a pinch of salt. Cut the butter into cubes and add them to the bowl. Pour in the coffee. Work with your hands, and mix until you have a uniform, thick dough.

Shape small balls, about the size of a walnut, and roll them in your chosen decoration. Place in the fridge for a little while before you eat - they'll firm up and they're much better that way.

Recipe in Swedish:
Chokladbollar

13 comments:

Jan said...

Perfect with a coffee after a meal, I can imagine.

Jessica said...

My nieces, 4½ and 7 are just marvellous, and I mean marvellous at making these. They have elevated the sugar rolling into an art form. Last time the 7 year old told me that Jess, e actually don't do it that way! Sometimes they make small figurines and of course I am part of that thing since I got them small sugar decorations in other colours. Each child gets equal amounts of the PINK decorations. The pink decorations are like gold, follows the stock price LOL

HennHouse said...

I can't wait to try this recipe-- I bet the kids are going to simply eat them up!

Incognito said...

These look scrummy! Can't wait to try them!

glamah16 said...

My cousins girlfriend told me the story behind these. I tried one at a famous coffee house and it was good. In Germany they have a similar dessert with name that has sinced changed as well.

Katie said...

I would never have thought of using oats in a chocolate, but I can imagine the texture and taste would be wonderful.

Cakelaw said...

These look delicious, wehatever they are called and whether they are rolled in sugar or coconut!

Dagmar said...

They look really pretty! I prefer them with coconut, however maybe I'll also change my mind the next time I'll try both at the same time.

Dori said...

These look perfect and delicious!

Feline Flodin said...

Måste vara cocos på, eller inget. Pärlsocker är äckligt, krunschar så otrevligt i tänderna. ;P Men snart återkommer du med recept på de perfekta havrebollarna va?! ;D Havrebollar är snäppet godare. Ibland.

Jeanne said...

These sound fantastic and just the thing to serve with coffee after a lovely meal. So easy too - thanks for sharing :)

Tara at Geek Baker said...

Thanks for the recipe! My Swedish beau said they tasted just like the one's back home. (Though he still calls them the bad name to annoy me...) :)

Swedish chocolate said...

Loveley chocolate balls, my favourite are those with "kokos" and not sprinkled sugar :)