Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fig-Feta Palmiers

fikonfetasnurror

This is so easy, you hardly need a recipe! It creates a gorgeous flavor explosion - sweet meets salty, and the crunch from the pastry.. oh, it's perfect together.

So - you need a sheet of puff pastry, and I don't bother making my own even though you certainly could, it'll make it even better. You need dried figs - say, seven or eight of them. Finely chopped. You need about 100 g of feta cheese, and a few spoonfuls of cream. Mash the cheese with the cream, and spread it on the puff pastry. Sprinkle with the figs.

Roll up from both long sides at once, so that they meet in the middle. Or hey, just make one simple roll if you prefer - then you've got pinwheels instead of palmiers!
Place in the fridge for a little bit, to make slicing easier. Then slice. You want these to be fairly thin, say 7-8 mm.
Place the slices. cut side up. Brush with a beaten egg. And then bake, at 225°C, for 10 minutes.

10 comments:

glamah16 said...

I'm drooling. They look so good.I just found out I will be in Stockholm end of May/ early June.So I'll let you know and bring the cornmeal.

JEP said...

So easy & sound delicious...these will be a winner!

Big Boys Oven said...

Lovely ! A must taste!

Bokomaten.. said...

Hmm... might try it for my cake at work on friday. Can you freeze them?

Anne said...

Glamah16 - oh, that's GREAT news! :)

Bokomaten - that's not ideal, actually. Can you heat them in an oven for a few minutes before serving? They can definitely be served at room temperature, but they will go a bit soft and soggy if they sit for too long. I baked mine the day before, and then crisped them for a few minutes in a hot oven in the morning of the day I served them.

Bokomaten.. said...

That I can do.:) Thursday is booked for me then.;) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My better half would definitely love this. Will have to try it out soon.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Anne,

Very nice recipe!
I tried it today, I made swirls :)
I posted it and linked back to you.
You can take a look at them here:
http://www.coffeeandvanilla.com/?p=1423

Have a great day, Margot

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What a wonderful flavour combination for palmiers. They are always pretty too...a perfect choice for appies!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, thx for the recipe, I also made swirls and posted them on my blog (it's in Polish, but there's a photo :)
http://cosniecos.blox.pl/2008/01/Zawijance-z-feta-i-figami-i-ciasto-francuskie-dla.html
They went down a treat at the party last night!