Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Caramel Chicken

caramelchicken

I try a lot of recipes. You probably know that, since I constantly find new things to post about here. Some are of the kind that I like well enough, but not enough to make again. Some are new favorites, that I know I'll make again, and again. This is one of those.

I found it over at Nika's Culinaria, and it's a recipe from a book called "2500 recipes". I don't have the book, nor any strong inclination to buy it, but this chicken.. wow, this chicken is really extraordinary.

Do use as good chicken as you can buy - it makes a big difference here. I used organic free-range chicken thighs, and it was absolutely delicious. I made it again with slightly inferior chicken and it wasn't half as good. So do opt for the good stuff - it will be well worth it, I promise!

Caramel Chicken
serves 3-4

500 g chicken thighs, deboned
corn starch
2 tbsp neutral oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1-2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp brown sugar
2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp worcestershiresauce
black pepper
salt

Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Coat them lightly in corn starch. Heat the oil and fry the chicken until it's cooked through, and slightly crispy on the outside. Remove to a plate.

Add more oil if you need to, and fry onion and carrot on fairly high heat for one minute. Add garlic, sugar, vinegar and worcestershiresauce and cook for a few minutes until the sugar has melted. Add the chicken to the pan and stir until it's well coated. Season with some black pepper and salt if you wish, and serve it with rice.

Recipe in Swedish:
Karamellkyckling

8 comments:

annamaria said...

Så enkelt och det ser super ut! Det ska jag prova! Jag håller med dig om kycklingen - låtfiléerna är underbara - så smakrika och annorlunda i konsistensen. Jag tycker många vanliga kycklingfiléer är gummiaktiga i konsistensen - inte gott.

Malin Strid said...

Ekologisk kyckling är alltid ett bättre val. Det är ju en helt annan råvara än de där sönderstressade tokbroilarna man trodde var kyckling, innan man hade provat äkta vara.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw the recipe name. I guess it's cause the sugar and vinegar create a caramel-like sticky sauce? It must be delicious.

HennHouse said...

What vegetable did you serve with it? I've been moving toward one-dish meals to get all the right nutrition in for the three kiddos without having to fight over the green stuff. I've even slipped asparagus into hamburgers without anyone knowing!

Anne said...

Annamaria och Moster Mysko - absolut. Synd bara att det inte är helt lätt att få tag på, i synnerhet inte i frysdisken.

Susan - exactly, the sugar caramelizes. :)

Hennhouse - well, I actually didn't serve it with anything other than some plain rice, but you could, of course. Add more carrots, and I bet broccoli would work nicely here too.

görel said...

Men var FÅR du tag på dem då? I Uppsala verkar det vara stört omöjligt. Man kanske måste bege sig antingen till Stockholms innerstad eller långt ut på bonnvischan.

Anonymous said...

Anne: thnx for the link and I am glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Yours look delicious, like the way you did the carrots.

I think we need to make this again :-)

Nikki said...

Tried this tonight and it was delicious!