Thursday, November 08, 2007

Espresso Caramels

wrapped espresso caramels

My friend just asked if it's too early for christmas candy. No, of course not! Or.. is it? Oh, who cares? Life is too short.

These divine espresso caramels come from Heidi at 101 cookbooks, and I love that it's such a simple recipe. Just four ingredients! Now, that's my kind of candy. These caramels are slightly smokey, and surprisingly, I find them almost chocolatey. It must be the color fooling me, because obviously there's no chocolate in them. It wouldn't be bad to dip them in dark chocolate though - that's definitely a good idea for christmas candy!

Espresso Caramels

250 ml (1 cup) heavy cream (35-40% fat)
250 ml (1 cup) honey
1 tbsp ground espresso coffee
1 tsp sea salt

Mix cream, coffee and salt in a small, heavy saucepan. Warm until almost boiling, then add the honey, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat a little, and boil until you can do a firm ball test (a drop of the caramel in cold water should be a fairly firm ball). Use a thermometer - it should reach about 130°C.

espressocaramels

Pour into a small oiled or lined pan, and leave to cool before cutting into smaller pieces. Wrap in greaseproof paper.

Recipe in Swedish:
Espressokola

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

vilka läckra recept på din blogg:)blev sugen...kram

Anonymous said...

Oooo those look great. Would probably be a hit as an after-dinner nibble. And of course it's not to early for Christmas candy :-) Before you know it it's New Year.

Pia K said...

Oh ja, de var såå goda, gick åt i ett tacksamt nafs:) Tanken på dem i choklad är oemotståndlig...

Kimberly Pye said...

Oh, man. That's the third thing in a row from your blog that I have to make this weekend!

Thanks for such a fabulous daily distraction at work (but I'm careful not to drool on my keyboard)! Love the blog! :0)

annamaria said...

Det är verkligen snart jul!! Så goda de ser ut! Jag har precis letat fram mitt recept på Dadelkaka - så det finns fler som längtar till jul. Tack för de fina orden på min blogg!! Det är jätteroligt att få sånt beröm från matbloggarnas matbloggare:)

Jeanne said...

Chocolate dipped espresso caramels?? Oh stop!! I can't take it any more! What a fab idea for Christmas gifts, with or without the chocolate. I think I may have to revive my mom's tradition of giving candy to friends at Christmas...

Jeanne said...

Chocolate dipped espresso caramels?? Oh stop!! I can't take it any more! What a fab idea for Christmas gifts, with or without the chocolate. I think I may have to revive my mom's tradition of giving candy to friends at Christmas...

David T. Macknet said...

Those sound fabulous!

Joe said...

We just made these last week too - they are fantastic!

Ann-Louise said...

What cute little caramel packages!
Coated in chocolate, I think these might become the x-mas candy of the year! :)

Katia Mangham said...

It is absolutely not too early for Christmas candy! The caramels look lovely, you always have great photos. :) I will certainly put these on my list and maybe include a few in my Christmas cookie tins.

Pille said...

I MUST make them a.s.a.p. I bookmarked Heidi's recipe when it appeared. Then I saw these made by Joe /Desert Culinary/, and I printed the recipe out and took it to the kitchen. I had to popped to Budapest for two days, but now that I'm back, I can finally make them. Thanks for giving them thumbs up!!

Tony said...

I've just stolen your recipe! These sound lovely :-)

Greetings from London

Anonymous said...

The wrapping presentation is simple, yet the result looks inviting. A great premise for what is inside.