Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Chanterelle risotto

chanterelle risotto

It's that time of year again! Chanterelles are everywhere, although it's apparently not a great mushroom year. I do my picking at the grocery store rather than in the woods, and my favorite thing to make is this chanterelle risotto. I've told you about it before, but it's been a while! Here's the recipe as I made it last time, slightly different, but not much, from the old one.

Chanterelle Risotto
Serves two, generously

olive oil
butter
150 g arborio rice
125 ml white wine
1 litre of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
200 g golden chanterelles
handful of parmesan

Fry the golden chanterelles in a pat of butter until some of the moisture is evaporated. Set aside. Start the actual risotto by frying the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil (or butter, if you prefer). Bring the stock to a boil. Add the rice to the onion, and let fry for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned. Add the wine, and stir while it all evaporates.

Then proceed as usual, adding the stock one ladle at a time. Stir more or less constantly, and let the stock slowly melt into the rice. As soon as it looks dry, add more stock. Keep tasting - it'll take about 20 minutes. You might not use all the stock, and you might need more (just use hot water). It's impossible to tell in a recipe, really.

When it's pretty much done, add the golden chanterelles. Finally, stir in the parmesan, and if needed add salt, pepper, honey or lemon juice if you want it more salty, peppery, sweet or sour. All up to you!

Recipe in Swedish:
Kantarellrisotto

19 comments:

Wendy said...

Chanterelles are disappearing from our woods and shops at the moment. I've dried lots of them though and a good amount will no doubt end up in a similar risotto.
You've captured the colours wonderfully. :)

Chubbypanda said...

Excellent. I love all mushrooms. They add such a wonderful, earthy richness to dishes.

Pille said...

Gosh, I thought that Swedish & Estonian mushroom seasons match!??! We had fresh chantarelles from July till September - I was picking them myself, and the markets were full of them. I did manage to get some chantarelles on my last mushroom forageing trip in October, but now that we've had night frosts (it's snowing outside at the moment in Tallinn), the season for wild mushrooms is definitely over in this part of the Northern Europe!
(You can still get chantarelles in the shops, but they've been flown in from somewhere much further south, obviously, or then cultivated).
Lucky you for still being able to get seasonal wild chantarelles in Sverige!! I miss them!

Anne said...

Oh - I should have posted this a bit earlier, perhaps. Well, the markets still had chanterelles here last week, this week, I've only seen funnel chanterelles but plenty of those. Most are probably imported though!

Julia said...

Oh that looks fabulous and perfect for autumn. I adore mushrooms.

Pille said...

Funnel/trumpet chantarelles are indeed in season in late autumn. I actually picked them for a first time this October - they are sooooo difficult to spot between the dark fallen leaves! Yellow chantarelles are so much easier to spot, as they're bright yellow, and in season when the forest is still green. Looking for brown trumpet chantarelles among brown leaves is so much harder:)
I dried them, and who knows - might use them to make Anne's kantarellrisotto one day :)
Beautiful photo, by the way!

Jeanne said...

When we were in Europe in late August, there were special chanterelle menus everywhere - we practically gorged ourselves on them! What a treat. Your risotto looks marvellous - great pic :)

Anonymous said...

Anne,
This post is lovely a beautiful photograph and recipe. I will be making this for my children.
Thanks
Charlotte at The Great Big Vegetable Challenge

Anonymous said...

Ah chanterelles! Not having access to the woods I grew up in is probably one of the things I miss the most by not living in Sweden. Just talked to my parents and they picked funnel chanterelles (trattkantareller) en mass last week. Fortunately, they'll send over a big bag of dried once. The yellow ones you depict are put of season, though.

Picking mushrooms is so much fun and the taste and flavor is simply amazing.

Michael @ Herbivoracious.com said...

That looks great... we are getting wonderful chanterelles in Seattle right now, can't get enough of them.

Michael
The Herbivoracious Blog

Anonymous said...

Mushroom risotto is one of my most favorite dishes. In the US, we have a wonderful organic mushroom stock that Pacific makes. I use it in my risotto and it really brings out the rich earthiness of the mushrooms. Great post!

Brilynn said...

I get wild mushrooms from a friend of mine and I think risotto is my favourite thing to make with them!

Linda said...

I have never heard of Chanterelles... what other mushroom would be similiar in Eastern US? Looks so yummy...

Anne said...

Linda - good question, I'm really not very familiar with the mushrooms of other parts of the world. Well, not even so familiar with our own! :) But do try it with any wild mushrooms - I'm sure that will be delicious.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Beautiful risotto. I've never cooked with chantarelles before, but am eager to try this lovely recipe.

NJN said...

Great blog Anne. I found this on my search for a good mushroom risotto recipe and will try this tonight. Look forward to looking at some more of your recipes. Thanks - Neil

www.Neil-Nelson.blogspot.com

A. Rizzi said...

looks nice. I gotta get me some of those 'shrooms.

Līga Krista said...

Chanterelle risotto is my favorite risotto, but can you get here in Sweden frozen Chanterelles? I have dozens of them left back home in the freezer :(

Anne said...

Liga, sadly I've rarely seen frozen chanterelles for sale. You have to stock up while they're in season!