Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Coconut Lemon Rice

kokoscitronris

I have to share this dish with you! It was the first one I made from Pink - the cookbook I told you about the other day, by Peter Norman. This recipe is amazing - I tasted this rice at the press release party and knew I had to make it as soon as I could. I wasn't disappointed - it's dead simple to make, and mine turned out just as good as his had been.

It's a great side dish. I served mine with chicken, but it would have been great with some fried or grilled fish, as well. Maybe with the lentil-fried fish Per made? That would be a nice echo of the crunchy lentils in this dish.

Mind you, I'd be happy to eat just a large bowl of this rice, with nothing more to accompany it. Or serve it as part of large spread. Either way, this is really a new favorite for me, and I hope it will be for you, too.

Coconut Lemon Rice
Serves 2

150 ml basmati rice
225 ml water
1/2 tbsp neutral oil
50 g cashew nuts, unroasted and unsalted
1 tbsp red lentils
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tiny dried red chili (peperoncino)
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp fresh coriander
50 ml coconut flakes
50 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice

Rinse the rice thoroughly, until the rinsing water is clear. Place in a small saucepan, add the water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and cover with a lid. Cook for ten minutes, then remove from heat and leave it for ten more minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, and toast the nuts, lentils, mustard seeds and chilli until the seeds start to pop, and the nuts color slightly. Stir this into the rice with the turmeric, coriander, coconut and lemon. Serve, ideally with some nice chicken or fish.

Recipe in Swedish:
Kokos- och citronris

3 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Annes, I like yor blog but never mail before. But always I want to make some rice with coconut, I think is so good the mix, now I will try, thanks for the recipe, Gloria

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

How incredibly delicious this sounds. I have had the two flavours separate but would never have thought of pairing them together.

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoy your blog. Thank you.