Sunday, July 29, 2007

Waiter, there's something in my... Smoky Rocket Sauce

ruccolasauce

This is an entry for Spittoon Extra's event "Waiter, there's something in my...", the currant theme is of course sauces and this fits the bill perfectly. See, in the summer I almost always go for cold sauces. I have no inclination of standing at the stove more than I need to, so it's much more often a cold sauce, and something coooked on the barbecue.

Rocket, or arugula, is one of my favorite types of greens. It's rather strong and has a mustardy tone, and it's great for a simple salad. It's also great for making a cold sauce, as we discovered the other night. We had to improvise and had "nothing" in the fridge. However, I managed to scrape this together, and boy, am I glad I did! It's super tasty and easy to make - and I've made it twice since, already.

Smoky Rocket Sauce

50 g rocket (arugula)
150 ml thick yogurt (greek or turkish, around 10% fat)
2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2-1 tbsp chipotle sauce or paste (chipotle is a smoked chili pepper)
cayenne pepper

Chop the rocket coarsely. Mix yogurt and mayo, and flavor with chipotle and cayenne, and a dollop of honey if it's too sour. You can add a little salt, too. Mix in the rocket, and serve.

You can prepare it several hours in advance - it keeps well in the fridge. Add some garlic for more of a bite, if you'd like.

Recipe in Swedish:
Rökig ruccolasås

3 comments:

dingobear said...

What an incredible food blog you have here, Anne! I will definitely bookmark and return to try some Swedish recipes ...

Jeanne said...

Oooh, that sounds so good! I love rocket and I love the smoky spice of chipotles - this recipe is a keeper :)

Unknown said...

I think jeanne is right! A great entry; thanks for taking part in Waiter. Next theme should be announced shortly on Cooksister. Hope you can join in again.