Friday, March 30, 2007

Lamb Meatballs in Curry

lammucurrymeatballs

My husband is lucky enough to work at a place with their own restaurant. They have about 40 employees, and one chef who spends all day lovingly preparing food for them, in a tiny kitchen. The fee is deducted from their paycheck - and they get a really good deal - and guests are welcome too. I ate their a few weeks ago, and Linda the Chef had made a delicious cinnamon chicken. Per often comes home, raving about the wonderful food they get, and I'm often very envious. His favorite dish is something with lamb meatballs in a curry sauce, so I decided to try to recreate it. He said that it's not the same as she makes, but very, very good. I agree - this was a great dish, that I look forward to making again.

Lamb Meatballs in Curry
Serves 3-4

For the meatballs:
500 g minced lamb
1 egg
3-4 tbsp breadcrumbs
1 yellow onion
1 clove of garlic
salt
3-4 tbsp fresh coriander
ground coriander
ground chili
ground cumin
ground turmeric
1 tsp sugar

Mince the onion, garlic and fresh coriander finely. Beat the egg, and mix with the breadcrumbs. Add all other ingredients. I haven't given exact measurements for the spices - use as much as you want to, but start with just a pinch of each. You can fry a little bit of the finished mince to see that it's seasoned to your liking.

Roll tiny meatballs, and set aside.

For the sauce:
1 large yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
neutral oil
400 ml coconut milk (1 can)
3-4 tbsp yellow curry paste
water

Mix onion and garlic in a food processor until it's a mushy paste. Fry this in some neutral oil on low heat for about 10 minutes - it shouldn't get brown. Add the curry paste and increase the heat. Fry for a few minutes, then add coconut milk. Add a few spoonfuls of water, and let it boil for about 10 minutes.

Drop in the meatballs, but be careful not to stir until they are turning brown and are less fragile. Add more water if needed to cover them, and let them cook for about 10 more minutes.

Serve with your favorite rice.

Recipe in Swedish:
Lammköttbullar i Currysås

7 comments:

Pilar - Lechuza said...

This recipe is very easy and nice looking. The only diference that I do is to fry the meatballs a little bit before putting them in the sauce.

Best wishes from Spain
Pilar

Brilynn said...

That sounds VERY good! I don't often do anything with ground lamb, but this sounds great.

Kalyn Denny said...

I've been meaning to stop back and tell you how much I just loved your Baked Swedish Meatballs recipe, and this one looks like a real winner too! Saved to del.icio.us!

winedeb said...

Lamb rules ! I have been on such a lamb kick lately and I will be trying those handsome looking meatballs !

Honeybee said...

That looks so good! I love the fact that you just simmer the meatballs in the sauce, the frying is often a bit of a hassle, especially with larger quantities!

Madame K said...

There's just something about little meatballs that is so appealing - maybe that I can pop them into my mouth whole?

Those look really good...

Unknown said...

i've made this recipe before ! and now my family want's it all the time ! so very good !