Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chèvre Asparagus Risotto

chevre asparagus risotto

I know, I probably sound like a broken record. Risotto, risotto, risotto. And chèvre. I know. I talk about it all the time. But well, risotto happens to be one of my favorite dishes, chévre one of my favorite ingredients. How could it go wrong? Add asparagus, and it's a sure winner. It also feels rather spring-like - and the snow here is almost completely melted, and the sun is shining. Lovely!

Chèvre Asparagus Risotto
Serves 2

200 ml (0,8 cups) risotto rice
1 yellow onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
6-700 ml vegetable stock, boiling
1-2 tsp runny honey
1/2 lemon, squeezed
250 g asparagus
100 g chèvre cheese

Dice the onion. Fry in the butter and olive oil in a large pan. Add the rice, and fry until it's lightly golden. At this point, you can add a glass of wine, some dry sherry or vermouth - but it's perfectly fine not to.

Start adding the stock, one ladle at a time. Stir well. Add more stock as soon as the risotto looks dry. Add the asparagus in pieces after 10 minutes, reserving the tips. Keep adding stock.

The risotto is done when the rice is soft but not mushy - keep tasting. You might need more stock (just use hot water) or not need all of it. It all depends.

Finish by squeezing in lemon juice, some honey and the chèvre cheese.

Recipe in Swedish:
Risotto med sparris och chèvre

8 comments:

Kinna Jonsson said...

Ser att du redan fått en utmaning. Här får du en till av mig. =)

Brilynn said...

I love risotto, keep it up!

Linda said...

i love goat cheese... and i love risotto. i adore this dish. thanks for posting it!!!

Anonymous said...

Annie, do you add the reserved asparagus tips a few minutes before the risotto is done or when you add the goat cheese?

A-K

Anne said...

A.K - oooh, sorry! I generally add them at last minute so they don't color, but if they're very tough or stringy, add them a few minutes before it's done :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

I'll have to try this dish!

A-K

Anonymous said...

Looks simple and easy. I'm making this today!

Anonymous said...

I just found out I had very little parmesan but a whole round of chevre so Googled "Chevre asparagus risotto" and hey presto, up came your blog and recipe! Many thanks, I'm sure it will be delightful :-)

Simon
Portsmouth
UK