Monday, March 26, 2007

Apple Pork Chops



Here's a very simple, but fun, recipe. It's perfect for a weeknight dinner, and takes just 20 minutes to cook - the time it'll take you to boil potatoes. It's a great dish in the transition between winter and spring - it uses winter ingredients like apples and lingonberry jam, but the flavors are strong, fresh and spring-like.

Apple Pork Chops
Serves 2

2 nice pork chops
salt
white pepper
butter
150 ml apple cider (or water)
1/2 tbsp flour
1 bouillon cube (meat or vegetable)
50 ml cream
1-2 tsp soy sauce
1 apple
1-2 tbsp lingonberry jam
boiled potatoes, to serve

Fry the chops in a bit of butter, and season with salt and white pepper. Remove to a plate.

Whisk the apple cider (or water) with the flour, and bring to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the bouillon cube and the cream, and season with soy sauce to taste. Add the chops, and let them cook for about five minutes.

Meanwhile, peel and dice the apples, or cut them into wedges. Fry in a little butter. Add this to the sauce, along with a spoon or two of lingonberries, and serve with potatoes.

Recipe in Swedish:
Äppelkotletter

6 comments:

winedeb said...

These look so yummy that my mouth is watering!
Oh, but those kitties are irrestible!

Anonymous said...

The lingonberries are a lovely garnish. Are they in season now?

Btw, I found this lovely looking dish while browsing through your flickr photosets. You know how it is, you start looking at the cute kittens, and then a yummy dish catches your eye :).

Anyhow, I'd love to make this dish, but I can't seem to find it on your blog. Got a pound of ground lamb just waiting for it :).

Anonymous said...

Oops... wrong link. I meant this lovely looking dish :).

Anne said...

Shelly, lingonberries are not really in season - they grow in the late summer/fall - but just about every Swede has Lingonberry jam at home, homemade or storebought :) Or frozen ones.

That dish - lamb meatballs in a curry sauce - is yet to come :) I need to do a full write-up, but then I promise it'll be here :)

Dorota said...

I just made it today and it was sooooooooooo yummy! The sauce tasted perfect! Will be my fave from now on. Puss och kram från Polen

Petra said...

Annie, I am making this right now and it smells divine..mumsfilibabba..I am a vegan myself but I know my family will love these, somewhat a reminder of our swedish summers. Thanks for your blog and wonderful recipes from home...