Friday, August 04, 2006

Salad with chicken, feta cheese, watermelon & creamy basil dressing



Friday, already? I just got home from visiting my sister Ehva in Östersund. (She has a blog by the way - in Swedish, but if you read Swedish, head over there!) It's been a lovely trip, and I took some great pictures of my great-nephews (surely that's what it's called? It's my niece's children.) and of Ehva's smart design details in her apartment. She is very creative, and has some really cool stuff.

Now, speaking of cool. Sweden is not. It's been a very warm summer, and as far as I've heard, that's true for most of the world. So, how about a cool summer salad? This is a really tasty flavor combination - feta and watermelon goes so well together! Feel free to skip the chicken if you want a lighter meal, but it does make it more substantial.

Salad with chicken, feta cheese, watermelon & creamy basil dressing
Serves 2

100 g mixed salad greens
1/2 rotisserie chicken (or two grilled chicken breasts will do)
1 avocado
1/2 lemon
1 small red onion
100 g feta cheese
1 fat wedge of watermelon

Rinse the salad well, dry, and arrange on a platter. Cut the avocado into large dice, and distribute evenly. Press over the juice of half a lemon, and toss. Cut the onion into thin half moons, and sprinkle over. Cut chicken and watermelon into bite-sized pieces and arrange on the platter. Top with crumbled feta cheese.



Creamy Basil Dressing
1 small handful of basil leaves
1,5 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp mild olive oil
3 tbsp crème fraîche (low fat is fine)
salt, pepper

Using an immersion blender or a small food processor, mix the basil with the oil and the vinegar. Add salt and pepper, and finally stir in the crème fraîche.

Sallad med kyckling, fetaost och melon med krämig basilikadressing

5 comments:

anyasgarden said...

Anne, hello!

I was cruising through a blogsphere,and came across another Anne from Sweden who blogged, and it reminded me of yours, so I googled and landed here in tastyland ;-)

I never visit AF anymore, but if you do, say hi. I'm blogging now, too, all about natural perfume.

I want to try this recipe, minus the chicken, I think I'd like it all crispy and creamy, with no protein filler, lol. I'll now spend some time visiting back through your yummy archives.

Anne said...

Anya, welcome!! :) I don't spend much time on AF either, but of course I remember you :) I'll check out your blog too, how fun!

hugs!
Anne

The Öbergs said...

I love the combination of unusual flavors. I never think to use watermelon in salads - only straight up with a sprinkle of salt. This sounds really good.

I am going to give my hand at all sorts of tex-mex food items this weekend, so I'll probably bend your ear about ingredient availability. :-)

Pille said...

Watermelon & feta salad has been on my to-do-soon-list for ages. The addition of creamy basil dressing sounds lovely, too!

Pene said...

I prefer cantelop (rock melon to us aussies) but honey dew would work well also. And lemon poppy seed dressing?