Friday, July 21, 2006

Pasta with Bacon and Snow Peas

We had this for dinner a few nights ago - and it was definitely a "wow" dish that I'll gladly make again. It's easy, fast and made with readily available ingredients - except for perhaps the dried funnel chanterelles. I was given a huge supply by a dear friend a couple of years ago. It's finally dwindling, but it's lasted me really well. Dried chanterelles last - apparently - for a very long time without losing their flavor. Just a tiny bit makes a big difference with this sauce - but if you can't find any, just omit them.

Pasta with Bacon and Snow Peas
Serves 2

Enough pasta for two - use your favorite, and boil in lightly salted water
70 g bacon
1 small yellow onion
1 garlic clove
250 ml cream - I use a low fat "cooking cream"
50 ml (about 1/4 cup) parmesan
50 ml (about 1/4 cup) cheddar cheese
small handful of snow peas
olive oil
dried chili flakes
1 tsp dried funnel chanterelles

Dice the bacon and onion, mince the garlic, and grate the cheeses. Slice the snow peas lenghtwise.

Boil the pasta. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan, and fry onion and garlic for a minute. Add the bacon and fry until it gets crispy - but without burning the onion, be careful. Add a bit of dried chili flakes, and stir well. When the pasta is nearly finished, add the cream to the pan and let it boil for a few minutes. Add the cheese, crumble in the dried funnel chanterelles and add the snow peas. Add the pasta and perhaps a spoonful of pasta water if you feel that the sauce could use it. Season with salt - I have a mixture of sea salt and dried mushrooms that was just perfect for this dish.

Pasta med bacon och sockerärter


Pamela said...

I really like the sound and look of this dish, definately will be adding it to the - must try - list!

Kitchen Queen said...

That sounds really good!

Emma Jakku said...

I made this for dinner last night when I was looking for something to use up some snow peas I had and it was delicious :) I skipped the bacon though, since I'm a vegetarian, and used some cherry tomatoes instead, which worked pretty well.