Friday, April 14, 2006

Clementine Cake



Here's a perfect recipe for Good Friday, also called Long Friday. Because long it is. Isn't it strange how one day can be so much longer than all the others? Anyway. This recipe may take some time, but it's a breeze - anyone could do it. The result is a luscious, moist cake with the heady aromas of vanilla, almond and citrus. Delicious!

This comes from Nigella's How To Eat - I've added a vanilla bean, but no other major modifications.

Clementine Cake
from Nigella Lawson's How To Eat

3-4 clementines or other small citrus (about 375 g total weight)
1 vanilla bean
225 g sugar
250 g ground almonds (I just tossed mine in the food processor for a long time)
6 eggs
1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder

Wash the citrus. Put them in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, and leave the clementines to boil for two hours. (Yes, you read that right. Two hours.) After that, take them out and split them, so you can remove any pips.

Then put the whole thing - peel and all - in the food processor. Score and scrape out the vanilla bean into the food processor too, and whirl for just a few seconds.

Beat the eggs until fluffy. Add almonds, sugar, baking powder and the clementines. Pour into a prepared spring form, and bake for about an hour at 190 °C. Check closely after 40 minutes, you might need to cover the cake with foil so it doesn't go too brown.


Nigellas Clementinkaka

10 comments:

Pene said...

I noticed that no flour is listed. Do the ground almonds substitute for flour?

Here in Estonia it is called 'suur reede' or 'Big Friday'. Not quite the same as what I know as Good Friday in Australia. At least here it is a holiday for everyone, not like in the USA.

Alanna Kellogg said...

Isn't it great?!! To me, it's an amazing cake - I've made it with Clementines, Meyer lemons, plain lemons. At Christmas it even (accidentally) got left, uncovered, on the counter for four days before we cut into it. It was just as good, maybe better, than when first made the other times. I do have trouble with the exterior burning; Nic from BakingSheet has been helping me diagnose, the likely culprit is a dark springform, the likely solution to drop the oven temp by 25F.

Alanna Kellogg said...

PS Love your photo, magazine worthy!

Anonymous said...

Hm... not going to bake the cake, but just wanted to say that your blog is really nice. The photos too.

Keep up the good work :-)

Found your blog via Blogflux.

PS. We do have a Food category on our blog, but it's not really any good recipes there, but it's connected to food some how...

Anne said...

Pene - yes, the almonds make flour unnecessary. Good for those that are sensitive to gluten.

AK - I'm definitely going to try it with lemons. I bet that's really yummy! And thank you :)

Lifecruiser, welcome! :) Glad to hear from a new visitor!

Pille said...

Hi Anne - lovely picture! I bookmarked that recipe as well, but haven't got around to making it yet. Thanks for reminding me!

Nic said...

I agree that it's a great picture. I have heard so many good things about this recipe (mostly from Alanna, as you can see!), too.

Christa said...

I will try this one since I love almonds. Great blog you've got here. Deserves a bookmark :)

Glad Påsk förresten. Jag är svensk men bor i England sen ett par år tillbaka. Det är alltid kul att träffa på svenskar som bloggar :)

Anonymous said...

Recipe sounded good, but I'm not much of a cook.

Anonymous said...

This cake is really unusual. I can't help not trying it out. I will be replacing the ground almonds with ground walnuts, and using oranges. I hope it turns out. The oranges are in the pot right not :-)

Thank you for the recipe.