Monday, February 13, 2006

Chocolate mousse



This is the simplest chocolate mousse in the world. And, as it happens, one of the tastiest, too. I've written about it before - but I never had a good photo, so when I happened to make this for dessert last night, I thought I'd re-post it right in times for Valentine's Day. (Besides, I've fiddled a little bit with it.)

Chocolate Mousse

250 g dark chocolate (this time, I used a mix of my trusty Chocovic, some cheap stuff I had laying around, and some Michel Cluizel with a subtle coffee flavor)
300 ml double cream
3 eggs
3 1/2 Tbsp sugar (50 ml)
1-2 Tbsp flavoring - you can use your favorite liquor (this works well with whiskey or rum, or Kahlua, Amaretto or Frangelico) or coffee. Or nothing. I used Macallan single malt whiskey.

Melt the chocolate in a waterbath or in the nicrowave. Let it cool don a little bit. Beat the eggs with the sugar until you have a very pale yellow fluff. Beat the cream until it holds soft peaks. Add the chocolate and the flavoring to the eggs, stir well to combine. Gently fold in the cream. Spoon into glasses or ramekins and place in the fridge for at least four hours.

Chokladmousse

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks lovely! I have never thought of making chocolate mousse...even it I love it and it is easy to make (no cooking or baking!). I have no idea why. Now I have a yummy recipe to refer to! Thanks :)

Dilek'ce said...

Anne your hearts are beautiful:)

Antti said...

Those look so yummy! I've got a first date on Wed (I know, V-day is on Tue :) - but nonetheless I'm looking for something hearty to make. I'm thinking about heart shaped glazed cookies - not *too* mushy I hope :)

Lori said...

I love those heart-shaped ramekins. You have the coolest stuff, Anne!

Kingfisher Farm said...

I just found your blog, needing this recipe! WONDERFUL! We are having it today. Thanks so much!

somewhere_smiling said...

Hi Anne, thank you SO much for this recipe - I made it this morning and OH MY GOODNESS it's good (and that's from just licking the spoon:).

A friend referred me to your blog and I've bookmarked it for future enjoyment!

All the best from Australia!

Camille Acey said...

I made it this evening and yes! so far licking from the spoon was absolutely divine. I am headed off the gym now and can't wait to taste the delicious outcome.

Thanks Anne! You give the best recipes!

Sarah B. said...

I just found the recipe last night and it was SO easy and SO good (i did it a bit different, but....)
Would you mind if I used it on my blog?
Thank you!

Anne said...

It's fine to use on your blog if you either give me credit for it, or re-write it in your own words. Or both! :)

Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

How do you avoid the chocolate to go "grynig" (not a smooth even colored batter) when you combine it with either eggs or whipped cream. I failed miserably at this stage. I tried twice: first time with whipped egg whites and the chocolate about 30°C. The second time was with whipped cream and the chocolate was just warm enough not to go solid. Is it a temperature issue or what could I be doing wrong?
And yes I wasn't strictly following your recipe, however I'm sure you will offer me some advice anyway ;).

Anne said...

Linus, I'm wondering if you manage to get steam or water in your melted chocolate? Do you melt it in the microwave or a bain-marie? And have you tried different types of chocolate? I've never had this problem myself (except for once when I accidentally poured in water - hugely stupid) but I know many do have problems with it when they're using a bain-marie. It should not be a combining problem though.

Anonymous said...

I melt it in a pot on a stove. I don't let it get "hot" though. As for the chocolate I used Anthon Berg 72%. However the chocolate shouldn't be a problem, as I've got working mousses by melting the chocolate into either hot cream or water then pouring that mixture into a bowl on top of ice and then whisking like crazy for ~10-15min.

Anne said...

I'd try a gentler melting - bain-marie or microwave in very short intervals. The chocolate at the bottom of the pot might get too warm from the direct heat, and thus turn grainy.

Siobhan said...

This chocolate mousse recipe was soo delicious! Can't wait to make it again as it was really easy to follow and of course, tasted divine.
Thank you :)