Monday, January 09, 2006

Crunchy Winter Salad



Another large salad, for a large crowd. This one is from a recipe in Jamie's Kitchen, by Jamie Oliver. Definitely one of my fave cookbooks. Jamie's recipes always seem to work so well for me - while not very elegant, the flavor combinations are.. well, good. Really good in fact.

This original had some more ingredients - tahini and sesame seeds - but I omitted it since I wasn't sure about allergies. Next time, I'll probably omit the raisins too. They add a nice holiday touch - but I don't particularly care for them. A doubled version of this recipe served 30 as part of a buffet. Try to prepare it right before serving - the veggies will go soft if they're left to stand. If you absolutely must prepare well in advance, keep the veggies submerged in ice water - that should retain their crunch.

Crunchy Winter Salad
inspired by Jamie Oliver

3 large carrots, julienned
2 good apples, quartered and sliced (I use Pink Lady, my new favorite apple)
150 gram radishes, sliced
1 small handful of raisins
1 handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 bunch of mint, small leaves left whole, larger torn in half
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
6 tbsp neutral oil
freshly ground black pepper
salt

Start by combining vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a jug. Prepare all the vegetables, and add to a large bowl or platter. Add the herbs, and the dressing - toss to combine well, and serve immediately.

Knaprig vintersallad

6 comments:

Ilva said...

Anne, I just tagged you for a kind of meme-challenge! Do it if you feel like it!

Cyndi said...

Interesting combinations of fruits and veggies - I never thought of radishes and apples together. Same textures, but different tastes. Hmm.
I'll be back for more ideas. Great blog.

onemorehandbag said...

I love this salad, too and used dried cranberries instead of raisins. The tahini gives it a lovely velvety texture but I agree it might not be suitable for nut-allergy sufferers.
Compliments on your blog, by the way. Apart from the great posts and photos I'm very jealous of the drop-down-menu for your recipes! I haven't found out how to sort my posts in categories yet so if you ever feel like sharing the secret, i.e. source code...

Pille said...

Hi Anne, great salad! I would have probably omitted raisins, too - I like them in cakes, but that's about it. Just like onemorehandbag, I would have gone for dried cranberries instead.

Viktoria said...

Mmm, I love this crunchy salad too. You have to try it with tahini another time.

Anne said...

Cranberries are a great idea! But, tahini? Really? It's one of the ingredients that scare me.. I've smelled it, and it seems so stale, unfresh.. or did I encounter a bad one?