Saturday, December 17, 2005

My best roast potatoes



I love roast potatoes. It's not something I grew up with, at all - this is indeed a fairly new addition to my life, and I don't think all that many Swedes eat it at all. Most eat boiled potatoes, or fried potatoes, or potato wedges - but roast potatoes like this? Not very common. I think I first learned it from Jamie Oliver, and later on, from Nigella.

It's very simple really. Peel smallish potatoes - or not, if they have thin skins. Cut them into smaller pieces - usually two or three per potato. Preheat the oven to very hot, 250°C is good. Boil the potatoes in salted water until they're almost soft - ten minutes or so. Drain, and shake the potatoes in the pan until they're a little mashed up around the edges. Remove to a large oven tray, and add liberal amounts of good olive oil and sea salt. And I mean lots, of both. Who said this was healthy?

Roast in the oven for half an hour or more, turning occasionally until they're golden brown all over. They'll be crunchy and salty on the outside, and deliciously fluffy on the inside.

By the way, I'm thrilled to see that there are so many other DMD fans!! I'll definitely try to post more of Goldy recipes in the future, there are tons that I really do want to try.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Anne,

If you ever get the opportunity, roast in duck fat instead of oil. You'll think you've gone to heaven.

Billie said...

They look delicious. My dh loves roast potatoes, so I make them often. I never heard of them until I went to the UK where he lived. Of course, he's Irish and he loves anything "potatoes"!