Friday, December 30, 2005

Love Yummies



I have written about these before, but without giving a recipe. This is a lovely little cake, that goes by many names in Swedish. I grew up with them as "Mocha Squares", Per's family called them "Maj's Spring Squares" and nowadays they're often called "Love Yummies" in the coffee shops. I prefer the last name, isn't it cute?

It's also fast and simple to bake, and it was the first thing Per made for me when we first started dating. It freezes well, if you're so inclined. Serve with coffee - it's perfect with a strong espresso!

Mocha Squares

2 eggs
300 ml sugar (about 240 g)
150 ml milk
450 ml flour (about 225 g)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar or extract
1 tbsp cacao powder
150 g melted butter or shortening

Butter and line a sheet pan with bread crumbs. Heat the oven to 225°C (~435°F)

Beat eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and cacao. Mix the flour and baking powder, and add this to the batter with the milk. Finally, add the melted butter or shortening. Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan. Bake for about 15 minutes. Take out and let cool completely.

For the topping:

200 g sieved powdered sugar
4 tbsp melted butter
4 tbsp cold strong coffee
1 tbsp cacao
2 tsp vanilla sugar or extract
dessicated coconut flakes

Mix everything together, except the coconut. Spread over the cooled cake and sprinkle with the coconut.

6 comments:

Nic said...

Yum! I've been craving coconut for a while and I think that the coconut/mocha combination sounds irresistable. In fact, I had a drink like that at a Starbucks in Hawaii - delicious!

Anne said...

Nic - oh, don't even mention Starbucks. I have the worst abstinence.. I really have to learn how to make REALLY good replicas of their drinks - they are just perfect for me. And the closest Starbucks? Um, London. *sigh*

Billie said...

Mmmm, looks yummy! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

These look delicious and may be the perfect addition to my husbands lunch box - have to try them soon!

Anonymous said...

These are Snoddascake to me :) eller snoddaskaka som det heter på svenska

Anonymous said...

Thank you Anne
These are SOOOO good. LOVE the mocha icing and can't believe how easy to make and quick to bake. I haven't got a big enough cake tin so I will just have to eat piece number 4. Niki from New Zealand