Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Almonds



Brussel Sprouts are really yummy - truly a forgotten vegetable. Many people don't like them at all - and I can't really imagine why. They must not have had them cooked properly. I made this recipe, that I found on Elise's blog, for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit!

Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Almonds
1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
2-3 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds

Super easy to prepare, too. Simply trim the brussel sprouts - remove the bottom and any discolored outer leaves - and boil them in salted water for a couple of minutes. Strain and put into a bowl of cold water until they're cool. Remove to a tray, and halve the sprouts. Set aside.

Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large pan, and fry the onion until soft. Add the sprouts and more butter. Let them cook until fully cooked through. Season with salt, pepper and lime juice, and toss with the almonds.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Anne, I am a Brussel Sprout FREAK! I eat them all the time...I dont usually do to much to them but this I will certainly try! The last time I got fancy with them was using a Barefoot Contessa recipe..they were good, but a little to salty.

Elise said...

Hi Anne, I'm so glad you liked them! I love brussels sprouts too.