Friday, November 04, 2005

Cinnamon Tosca Squares

This is a very yummy treat that I first encountered when I was studying at university. My dear friend Kristin made this for, I think, a birthday party, and it was love at first bite. I begged her for the recipe, and I've had that hidden away in my "make-soon"-stash ever since. Embarrassingly enough, I recently found it and made it myself - for the first time. What kept me so long? These are great!

I modified her recipe just a bit - I made half of the bottom (so feel free to double my measurements) but all of the topping, as I really like the chewy, crispy coconot crunch. And I added cinnamon to the topping, very yummy! These freeze very well, and are indeed great to munch on straight from the freezer. Dangerous!

Cinnamon Tosca Squares

2 eggs
3 dl sugar (1 cup + 3 tbsp)
1,5 dl flour (1/2 cup + rougly 2 tbsp)
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
90 g butter, melted


75 g butter
2 dl sugar
150 ml cream (low-fat is fine)
100 ml golden syrup
200 g shredded coconut
1 tbsp cinnamon

Start with the bottom. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (~400F). Beat eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add all the other ingredients - I sift everything to avoid lumps - and stir until smooth. Pour into a lined roasting pan, and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the topping. It's very easy - mix everything in a saucepan, let the butter melt and stir. Bring to a boil. Then, when the cake is done, just smear this over the top, and bake for another 10 minutes. It might look a little liquid when you take it out, don't worry - it will firm up.

Let it cool, and cut into squares.


Raquel said...

Mmmm...looks delicious!
The chocolate lover in me says it would be good to sprinkle chocolate chips on top! What do you think?
*Did you use sweetened coconut or unsweetened?

Anne said...

Raquel - I live in such a sweet-challenged country that we don't have chocolate chips (of course, you can always chop your own!) OR sweetened coconut. :) So this is just regular, dry coconut flakes, no sugar. :)

Dagmar said...

I just realized that theese squares sounds just like the delicious ones that one of my colleagues made for our fredagsfika (but without the cinnamon of course). He called it SAP-kaka as we all worked with the SAP R/3 system. I tried his recipe but it was a total disaster as I didn't bake the bottom long enough, so the topping sank through it.... Fredrik quickly named the creation härdsmälta... I never blogged about it as I was too ashamed :-)

LisaSD said...

No chocolate chips in your country? Would you like for me to send you some? I could send so many varieties, it would make your head spin!

Anyway, the Tosca Squares look delicious!

ThreeGreenApples said...

I just HAVE to try this cake out!

nschatzi said...

I tried two recipes from your wonderful blog in one day. Both of them (including this one) were a success! Thank you!