Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Cauliflower Tabbouleh



I had a really hard time naming this dish. I really don't know what it is - but let's go with Cauliflower Tabbouleh, it's at least vaguely descriptive. It started with me writing down ingredients for.. something.. a while ago, in my PalmPilot. The list read like this: bulgur, endives, cauliflower, fennel, pomegranate, parsley, roasted walnuts, lemon, olive oil. Couldn't find endives in my shop, but I had most of the other stuff at home.

Ok. No instructions. So, I just kind of went with it, and ended up with an absolutely delicious - and very addictive - dish. I was sceptical - until I took the first bite and couldn't shove the rest in my mouth quick enough. There's something about this.. ah.

Cauliflower Tabbouleh
Serves 3-4

150 ml (0.6 cups) bulgur
300 ml (1.2 cups) water
salt
1 head of fennel, sliced very thinly
1 red onion, sliced into thin half moons
1/2 head of cauliflower, separated into tiny florets
sea salt - preferrably Falksalt's Lemon Salt
1 bunch of parsley, chopped
handful of roasted walnuts
1 lemon
1 pomegranate
olive oil

Get the bulgur going - combine bulgur and water, and a bit of salt, bring to a boil, cover and let sit for fifteen minutes. Heat a pan, add the olive oil. Fry the cauliflower florets and the red onion on high heat. Add the lemon salt, or just the sea salt if you can't find lemon salt. (And I bet most of you can't.) A generous pinch!

Then it's just a matter of combining. Dump the bulgur on a large plate or in a salad bowl. Add the parsley. Add the fennel. Add the onion and the cauliflower. Drizzle lemon all over it. Add the walnuts. Finish by sprinkling on the pomegranate seeds and squeezing out the juice.

2 comments:

Viktoria said...

It looks delicious, and healthy too!

Nic said...

Don't you just love it when you're making something up, record it for the sake of blogging, and have it turn out to be great? It sure sounds delicious, Anne.