Friday, September 09, 2005

Seafood Risotto



The key to this dish - a good stock. Normally, I use any old stock in my risottos, but here.. you really need the strong flavor of a good, preferrably home made seafood stock. I make mine from crawfish shells, saffron, tomatoes, garlic and other spices, and I freeze enough to last me until next year's crawfish season. (August!)

Seafood Risotto
Serves 2

olive oil
butter
100 ml sherry
300 ml frozen seafood stock, mixed with 700 ml of water
150 g arborio rice
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
300 g crawfish tails
handful of parmesan

Start by melting the butter and the oil, and frying the onion and garlic in this. Bring the stock to a boil. Add the rice to the onion, and let fry for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned. Add the sherry, and stir while it all evaporates.

Then proceed as usual, adding the stock one ladle at a time. Stir more or less constantly, and let the stock slowly melt into the rice. As soon as it looks dry, add more stock. Keep tasting - it'll take about 20 minutes. You might not use all the stock, and you might need more (just use hot water).

When it's pretty much done, add the crawfish tails. Finally, stir in the parmesan, and if needed add salt, pepper, honey or lemon juice if you want it more salty, peppery, sweet or sour.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Haha - roligt :)

Well, I do add oil and fry, but not necessarily before I make the stock but rather as a step. I fry the shells, onions, garlic and saffron before I add anything else, usually. (In a little bit of oil.) I want my stock to be very strong and concentrated though so I don't have to use as much of it.

Ziz said...

Wow that looks great...cool serving dish too!

Anonymous said...

This looks really good and I love the serving dish, too. ;-)

Best,
Paz