Monday, September 05, 2005

Classic Sunday Dinner



A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try my hand at a really, really classic Swedish Sunday Dinner. This was something my grandmother would gladly make for us, and something generations of Swedes have eaten. I can find recipes in my oldest cookbooks, looking pretty much the same in my new ones. Now, the dinner has variations, but it always has some kind of roast, boiled potatoes, jelly, gravy and some kind of veggies. I opted for a Slottsstek - translates to "castle roast" - which is one of the true classics. It gets it's unique flavor from anchovy. Do give it a try!

Slottsstek
serves 6-8

1,5 kg beef, suitable for roasting (I used the cut "fransyska")
2 tbsp butter
salt
white pepper
300-400 ml water
1 bay leaf
1 onion, cut in wedges
8 allspice peppercorns
8 white peppercorns
6-7 anchovies

Gravy
300 ml of liquid from the roast
3 tbsp flour
150 ml cream
sugar
vinegar

Brown the roast in the butter, slowly over medium heat. Season well with salt and white pepper. Add the water, the onion, the bay leaf, the peppercorns and the anchovies. Cover with a lid, and let simmer for about an hour and a half. Baste occasionally to make sure the meat doesn't dry out.

When done, remove the meat and slice thinly. Strain the liquid, and reserve 300 ml in a small saucepan. Mix the cream and the flour, and add to the liquid. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for a few minutes. Add sugar and/or vinegar, or a dash of soy sauce if you want more color.



Serve with boiled potatoes, boiled carrots, redcurrant jelly and pickled cucumber.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Sunday Dinner is bringing back lots of memories of the Sunday Pot Roasts my parents used to make. The differences make it really interesting, too. The anchovies, vinegar and sugar are new ideas to me and very much worth trying out. Wonderful ideas!

Anonymous said...

Oh Mother of Pearl that does look divine...I sooooo need to try that! I have never tried Swedish food, and by the looks of it, it is something I'd enjoy in my kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Anne,

I live in the uk, but my mum was german, your recipe for sunday lunch is quite similar to what she used to cook for us. I have gotta try yours it looks amazing! I have added you to my food blogroll
thanks xxx