Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Hot weather - time for salads!



I realise that this blog has had an unproportionate number of baked goods and unhealthy dishes lately. So, I'll start making up for it by telling you about the excellent chicken salad we had for dinner last night. Ah - so simple and fast, and so yummy! We used a ready-roasted chicken, or half of it to be precise, fed the skin to the cats, and combined the meat with halved cherry tomatoes, red onions sliced into thin half-moons, tossed it with lots of rocket salad, and finished with lots of parmesan cheese. Dressed it with a herb vinaigrette - white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, little bit of mustard, salt, pepper, sage and tarragon. Perfect for when it's too warm to consider anything else, and you want dinner on the table straight away.

5 comments:

Sam said...

to the cats? but the skin is the best bit - you must love them very much.

Farmgirl Susan said...

Oh that salad looks like the perfect summer dinner. I use dark balsamic vinegar all the time but am not familiar with the white version. You keep mentioning, it, though, and everything you make looks delicious. I am intrigued and will have to look for some the next time I head to the big city.

Anne said...

Sam - I *do* love my cats very much :)

Farmgirl - they're not that different in taste, indeed, the white one tastes a bit less, but I like it because of its appearance. Dark balsamic vinegar can really ruin the color of other ingredients - not a big deal obviously since flavor is what counts, but still. It's nice to have an alternative. :)

Frida said...

I told you it was good ;-) Smart thing about the white balsamic vinegar. I think I will invest in a bottle.

Anne said...

Frida - yeah, your post spurred the first one of these babies for the year :) It's a summer staple for us, but we vary between parmesan and feta cheese, adding cucumber when we go for feta. Druvan makes a decent, cheap balsamic white - I might go for something a bit stronger next time though.