Sunday, March 06, 2005

My copycat chicken salad



A while ago, Linda posted about a delicious-sounding chicken salad. I knew I had to try it. Salads as sandwich fillings are not at all common in Sweden, so while this may be a family favorite in many parts of the world - it's not here. I've tried it, but never quite got the hang of it to tell you the truth. I had this one with slices of toasted baguette, and it was absolutely wonderful. I followed Linda's recipe with a few small exceptions:

-I used much less celery, since celery is a scary ingredient for me. (Although I'm proud to have use it in three whole recipes in ONE week. Definitely a record for me.)
-I added a couple of squeezes of lemon juice.
-I added a small red onion in thin slices

Next time (and there will definitely be a next time) I'll probably substitute the whipping cream with some light creme fraiche instead. It tasted a little too rich for my taste. Other than that, it was perfect. Thank you very much Linda, this was really satisfying! All in all, I've had a lot of fun with my "copycat week". I'm glad to have had a chance to try out so many new recipes. Next week is back to work, and I have late meetings three days out of five, so don't expect any culinary miracles here. :)

3 comments:

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

I love that you find celery a scarey ingredient! I've never heard of that food fear from someone before (usually its mushrooms, or olives, or in my case- tomatoes). My mom would make this recipe for us with cashews instead of almonds,and with red grapes. It's my favorite when its hot outside and you want cool food with crispness to it. Its also awefully nice to eat off of a croissant!
Yum!

Anonymous said...

I like to make chicken salad with smoked chicken. It adds a whole different layer of flavors.

Scott
http://scotthutcheson.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

I like to make chicken salad with smoked chicken. It adds a whole different layer of flavor.

Scott
http://scotthutcheson.typepad.com